Model Lauren Scruggs

REJECTS $200k Settlement

in Airplane Propeller Accident

3/27/2012 6:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Lauren Scruggs -- the model who lost a hand and an eyeball
Lauren Scruggs -- the model who lost a hand and an eyeball when she was struck by an airplane propeller last year -- claims she shot down a $200k settlement offer from the plane's insurance company ... and now she's suing for much, much more.

Scruggs filed legal docs in Dallas, Texas ... claiming the insurance company "verbally offered" to pay her $200k for the Dec. 3, 2011 accident ... and they explained it's the MOST the insurance company can pay out to a "passenger."

But Scruggs is calling BS ... claiming she shouldn't be considered a "passenger" because "she was not in the aircraft or getting in or out of it at the time of the incident."

The 23-year-old model argues she had "completed her exit from the aircraft prior to the time of the incident and was physically located on the tarmac when the incident happened. Until struck by the propeller, she was not in physical contact with the aircraft after her exit."

Scruggs is asking for unspecified damages ... but we're guessing she wants WAY more than $200k.

bunny

Dumb blonde decides walking to a propeller won't chop off any body parts. Does she put her hand in the blender too? Since it's her fault, she should take that money and be happy they gave her anything.

Superman

HUH? She was getting out of the plane. The pilot tried to tell her to NOT walk towards the front of the plane. The pilot even used his arm to guide her away from the front. But, she ignored it or didn't understand what he told her. The ONLY case that she has, that I can see, is the pilot should have cut off the engines before allowing her to leave the plane. She may win that way, otherwise, she would be at fault.

abby

Hello? She walked into the propeller. The propeller did not walk into her. This case sounds a lot like the women who sued McDonalds after she spilled hot coffee on herself.

Transitioning

It's a horrible thing that SHE

kar

Everyone is money hungry anymore. If I walked in to a propeller I would consider that my mistake and be happy they gave me any money. I own a business and we have had people trip over their own feet and fall and we got sued and they get money. Just not right

Zabrina

This is what I do not get about our society. We do not make people responsible for their own dumb actions. It was her fault for walking to close to a moving propeller on the plane. Yes a moving propeller????? You would think no one should tell you to stay away from it???/ I think that she should get nothing for being and Idiot. Where has the common sense gone in our world???????? Is there an insurance for being stupid????? I think we need that in America.

Big D

Wow, who would have thought you could get a bunch of money for being a dumb ass?

SouthernGal820

She's right, she wasn't exiting the plane, she was already out of the plane then SHE WALKED INTO THE PROPELLER. Why does the insurance company - that insures the plane - owe her anything?! Seriously, she really was a model? I keep hearing that but she just didn't look like a model even before the accident. It's sad it happened but she needs to accept responsibility for the fact she wasn't paying attention and walked into the propeller.

She's baaaack

God bless her. Her injuries were absolutely horiffic. Her recovery was practically miraculous. Her stupidity is limitless. Maybe the pilot should sue her in return for the trauma that she put her/him through from walking into a moving propeller. Duh.

snake

uh she was told to walk the other way. why pay people for being idiots? i don't get it.

Charles

I am an aviation lawyer in Texas. The pilot is in charge. If the props are not stopped, you do not let anyone exit the aircraft. This is 100 percent the fault of the pilot in command.

Just My Thoughts

I'm guessing all of her medical bills will far exceed $200,000.

kylie9980

Why should she get anything at all really? She was the one who was not paying attention and being an airhead and walked right into the damn thing! It sucks it happened, but it was a careless accident with her at fault. Why should she get paid for that? SMDH at the legal system in this country. Most of us with common sense know not to walk right into a propeller and I dont know, maybe could see it, feel it and hear it?

smh

What a bitch. It's her own damn fault! What type of person walks into a propeller? I feel bad for what happened to her but there's no one to blame but herself.

SSinOC

I'm just glad she remembered to get out of the plane after it landed? Who'd she be suing if she hadn't?