Model Lauren Scruggs

REJECTS $200k Settlement

in Airplane Propeller Accident

3/27/2012 6:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Lauren Scruggs -- the model who lost a hand and an eyeball
Lauren Scruggs -- the model who lost a hand and an eyeball when she was struck by an airplane propeller last year -- claims she shot down a $200k settlement offer from the plane's insurance company ... and now she's suing for much, much more.

Scruggs filed legal docs in Dallas, Texas ... claiming the insurance company "verbally offered" to pay her $200k for the Dec. 3, 2011 accident ... and they explained it's the MOST the insurance company can pay out to a "passenger."

But Scruggs is calling BS ... claiming she shouldn't be considered a "passenger" because "she was not in the aircraft or getting in or out of it at the time of the incident."

The 23-year-old model argues she had "completed her exit from the aircraft prior to the time of the incident and was physically located on the tarmac when the incident happened. Until struck by the propeller, she was not in physical contact with the aircraft after her exit."

Scruggs is asking for unspecified damages ... but we're guessing she wants WAY more than $200k.

Transitioning

It's a horrible thing that SHE created! Mistakes happen and she created a mistake that cost her. NO ONE is responsible for HER mistake! And since when does EVERYONE become a model because they appear on their own website. The problem with today's society is Most people want someone else to pay for their mistakes! UGH take what was offered and admit YOU messed and and now YOU must pay for YOUR mistake.

CC

I have a lot of experience in aviation and like it or not this whole ordeal is 100% the fault of the pilot operating the aircraft. The fact Lauren was inexperienced around aircraft is irrelevant. The fact Lauren was the one who walked into the propeller is also irrelevant. Pilots are ultimately responsible for the operation of their aircraft and it has always been considered irresponsible to load/unload passengers with the engine running. She'll end up getting a judgement for $5+ million.
I hate litigation but she deserves every penny in my opinion. The pilot should have his license permanently revoked by the FAA as well.

USArmy

Only in America can you sue and get paid for being stupid. She shouldn't get a nickel. It's called situation awareness.

Gretel

What modeling career? I thought she was one of those dime-a-dozen "models" who put themselves out there via blogs and YouTube, and get a few gigs for a local department store. I could be wrong, and sorry if I am, but I'm in a hurry to put my hand into the garbage disposal before my mortage is due.

Kabala

$200,000 and losing a had and eye??? That's a small amount even for a relatively minor car accident!

izandroro

didn't she walk into the propeller? what did the plane do wrong?

StixZadinia

She'll be just fine. Eye patch modeling is really hot right now.

Chris

It was a terrible accident, but it was HER FAULT!

Mimi

this girl irritates me. she's all about being a good christian girl and she gets all greedy and sues for millions when SHE walked into a prop like a fool? everyone knows she was on her cell phone and that's why her hand was raised up and subsequently cut off. i feel very sorry for the trauma i'm sure she suffered but her family is a bunch of idiots and so is she. they have a ton of donations, media coverage, etc., and she's now rejecting settlements? i hope the lawyers for the plane company reem her in court for her being at fault. take responsibility for YOURSELF, lauren.

Jim

Well, i bet a dollar to donuts she was on the dope. You don't just walk into a spinning propeller, they are very loud and noisy. She is either stupid or was under the influence.

DetroitRocks

I am confused. Why does she deserve a penny? She did it to herself and should be happy she is alive

Bubbles The Chimp

She deserves nothing. She walked where she shouldn't have.

...But I have to 'HAND' it to her... Nice try in her money making efforts.

PPC

I hope her well, but she walked into the prop. The pilot evidently warned her and she walked directly into it anyway. There is so much that a company can do to prevent this accident. I still can't believe she didn't know the prop is in the front of the plane. Unfortunate accident, but I can't see her getting any money at all, 200K is more than adequate for this situation where she was at fault.

PPC