Model Lauren Scruggs

REJECTS $200k Settlement

in Airplane Propeller Accident

3/27/2012 6:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Lauren Scruggs -- the model who lost a hand and an eyeball
Lauren Scruggs -- the model who lost a hand and an eyeball when she was struck by an airplane propeller last year -- claims she shot down a $200k settlement offer from the plane's insurance company ... and now she's suing for much, much more.

Scruggs filed legal docs in Dallas, Texas ... claiming the insurance company "verbally offered" to pay her $200k for the Dec. 3, 2011 accident ... and they explained it's the MOST the insurance company can pay out to a "passenger."

But Scruggs is calling BS ... claiming she shouldn't be considered a "passenger" because "she was not in the aircraft or getting in or out of it at the time of the incident."

The 23-year-old model argues she had "completed her exit from the aircraft prior to the time of the incident and was physically located on the tarmac when the incident happened. Until struck by the propeller, she was not in physical contact with the aircraft after her exit."

Scruggs is asking for unspecified damages ... but we're guessing she wants WAY more than $200k.

Jordan

I'm sorry, but who the hell walks straight into a moving plane propeller?! It's her own fault! I'd take the money and run if I were her...but then again, I'd never walk into a plane propeller!

robert anderson

The pilot is 100% responsible for everyone onboard and around the aircraft. 1) Engine should have been shut-off prior to any passengers boarding or disembarking. 2) If propeller is turning, an experienced guide or aide IS AlWAYS used to escort passengers to/from aircraft. Hopefully she is also civilly suing the pilot. I read he was new and inexperienced to flying. Duh.

Mike

I really hope that the insurance company holds out, and if she pursues this, that they insist on a jury trial. I would LOVE to hear the public argument that this lady walked into an airplane propeller and it's someone else's fault.

Jimbob

I read the report and the pilot is supposed to shut down the prop before anyone exits the plane so there is some blame on the pilot here but come on how the heck do you walk into a prop? can't you feel the wind and hear the loud noise and your brain should go "uh, don't go near that thing or you could get really hurt"

sav

Wow... You walked into a propeller. YOU... WALKED... INTO... A PROPELLER. I feel so sorry for this girl, i really do. But SHE walked into a propeller, even after being told to NOT WALK TO THE FRONT OF THE PLANE..YA KNOW, WHERE THE PROPELLER IS.

Ric

Lauren, quit being a dumb b****. You're lucky the insurance companies offered you anything at all. After you're show of stupidity the only thing you deserve is your missing hand and eye, not hundreds of thousand, if not millions of dollars.

Seldombinlaid

Having been sick, and having also spent quite a bit of time in the hospital. That amount of money isn't enough to satisfy her Doctors, and Hospital Bills, and probably some on going care for awhile. Now, I guess the question is, who is at fault? I do feel for this young lady. How was she able to walk into a noisy prop?

melissa

For those who say that its the pilots fault and he should have shut the helicopter down b4 she got out that never happens I work for a trauma unit and we have heli's come in all the time first thing we do is lower our heads and get the victem out then it takes like 5-7 min for the propellers to stop spinning ur not stopping a washing machine or a salad spinner.... plus Ive know ppl who work with them all the time who have had limbs and even their head chopped off.... but then again when u are taking any heli ride the pilot ALWAYS tells u to duck ur head and NEVER lift it till u cant feel the wind ne more... so yes altho this is a tragady it could have very well been provented and since it was her own fault and not a faulty heli she wont get **** shes lucky her dumb ass didnt die from it and who in thier right minds turn around and wave to the pilot b4 clearing the blades!!!! she must have been living under a rock!!!!

Butterfly

I AM PROFOUNDLY SORRY FOR MS SCRUGGS' INJURIES. If I remember, correctly, the pilot CALLED out to her NOT to go near the propellers because they were still spinning. Perhaps she was preoccupied and did not hear the pilot's warnings. I wasn't there, but, this seems to have been a tragic, tragic accident, and, without question, devastating to both the pilot and to Ms Scruggs.

carrie

How about NOBODY PAYS cause you were the IDIOT and walked into an airplane propeller !! HERES YOUR SIGN !

Rick

I think in Texas and now in most states, that is the most the insurance company can pay out.

The Hot Coffee do***entary was really an eye opener.

Jody

She is a dingbat. If you have ever seen her webcasts, that much is obvious.

Ken

If I smash my hand with a hammer, I should sue Stanley Tools, Inc, right? At some point, commons sense needs to take over. If it does not, you should not get paid for it.

lalet

Am I the only one who thinks this girl should have taken the 200k and been grateful? I whole heatedly think she is the one at fault for her own stupidity. I mean how stupid do you have to be to go near the propellers of a plane while its running.

deanne

I feel bad for the girl..such a terrible accident but she's Sueing?? No One told her to walk INTO the Propeller!! GEEZ!!