Mother of 9/11 Hero

My Son Was Gay

... And Tougher Than Carson Daly

3/29/2012 8:41 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328-alice-hoagland-carson-daly-mark-bingham-getty-exThe mother of one of the Flight 93 heroes wants Carson Daly to know ... gay people ARE brave and tough ... and her son was living proof.

TMZ broke the story ... Daly joked on his L.A. radio show that gay people wouldn't have been able to take down a crazed pilot who freaked out on a recent JetBlue flight ... instead, they would have been more interested in going to a "floral convention."

Now, Alice Hoagland ... the mother of Mark Bingham ... has a message for the radio host ... saying, "Yes, my gay son was known in our family for bringing me flowers on my birthday and Mother’s Day.  He also was known for careening down the rugby pitch, and, on the morning of September 11, 2001, for charging unarmed down the aisle of a doomed Boeing 757 to face knife-wielding Islamist thugs in a hijacked cockpit."

She adds, "No one among his pick-up team of fellow passengers was asking 'Are you straight? Are you gay?' No one doubted that a guy who weighed 220 and stood 6’4” tall -- who could run over a charging opponent on the field, and ran with the bulls in Pamplona earlier that summer -- would be an asset to a desperate group trying to overcome a threat onboard an airliner."

"The world has its share of strong, heroic gay men. Gay men in sports uniforms and military uniforms have been winning America’s games and fighting America’s battles for a long time: quietly, humbly, and in the face of vicious bigotry."

"I hope you and I may have an opportunity to talk sometime. I prefer to believe you didn’t mean to offend. Good luck to you."

Alice Hoagland
Mother of Mark Bingham
California Golden Bears Rugby, University of California, Berkeley
San Francisco Fog Rugby Club
United Airlines Flight 93 Newark to San Francisco    9/11/2001

NocturnalDirtPeople

Carson Daly is such a joke remember the show last call with carson daly. What a piece of sht for bashing the gay community. Im not gay but my brother is and he would kick the crap out of carson daly. Ever hear the term hes built gay guy. Gay guys workout way more then straight guys.

Nicole

Poster # 1 - Bobo Frog: YOUR mother will never experience pride in you the way Alice is proud of her son, Mark. Instead, she's likely saying "where did I go wrong?".

Eric Scot

BRAVO!

Ro

REALLY??! He obviously made a joke that didn't go over well. I'm sure he doesn't really think all gays are weak... It's obviously a stereotype that he was poking fun of....JUST LIKE ALL OF THE RACIAL STEREOTYPES YOU MAKE ON YOU OWN SHOW, TMZ!!!! Get over this story already. It was a joke gone bad. The end. Give him a break. Geesh. And if you are really going to be this offended about it, you need to stop making jokes based on stereotypes yourselves!!!!!!!! Of course what he said was wrong but it was OBVIOUSLY an attempt at a JOKE! It wasn't like he was drunkenly ranting about how much he hates gay people. So enough already.

Ron Donaghe

Alice's letter to Carson Daly was a good response to his very stupid comments from the other day about subduing the pilot on the JetBlue flight—and it appears she did it without even raising her blood pressure. Her son was a lucky guy to have a mother like this; and it goes without saying that having a son like him was also a blessing.

David

Tell that to the 10's of 1,000s of Lesbian & Gay soldiers in the armed services along with firefighters, police, etc. Why don't you stick to the only thing you are good at Mr. Daly, that is stupid remarks and contributing little if anything to society. That's your legacy!

Kangadrew

I'm gay and I didn't find his comments very offensive, however I do think in a world where we are trying to break stereotypes and promote tolerance and acceptance, the comment was in poor taste and this mother has every right to take offense and defend her late son. It's not about being "politically correct" or "worrying about every word you say," it's about common sense and respect.

Colette

God bless her. This focus on sexuality has to stop. It's the person who matters, not who they're attracted to or what they look like, or how much money someone makes or doesn't make. In the end, we are all the same.

JBrennick

What hurts the gay community more - Carson's joke or Harvey acting like a living stereotype in front of millions every night on TMZ?

THE BEAVER

floral convention? Really? You can't even insult people the right way, you moron!! Not all gay people are into flowers, they are into fudge pack-ing. It don't matter if a person is gay when it comes to fighting, or their ability to fight a war. It is that they like the same sex. Not that I believe that same sex is right, but I am not to judge of others. God is.

MW

I truly am concerned by ANYONE that defines themselves by anything as limiting and meaningless as gay (I don't know anyone that defines themselves as "straight"), Catholic, black, hispanic, white, conservative, liberal, moderate, Democrat, Republican, etc.
Keep going until you've defined what every perfect person should be you 54%......

Blue Lake

Carson can never erase this hateful, ignorant and stupid comment. His son will be raised by a bigot and pick up his habits.

aunt jojo

It amazes me how incredibly stupid people are with regard to homosexuality. The stereotypes have got to stop. Really. Gay people are my mothers' doctor, my friends, the emergency room techs who are sewing up my kid, my attorney, professors, checkers at your grocery store, trash guy, constrution people. They are the same as anyone else, but they choose their parters differently. Period.

really?

Carson is right! I was never a fan of his, until now - gotta love someone who isnt afraid to speak his mind again all the folks who "think it" but afraid to speak it. Gays think because everyone has to be nice to them by law, means hat all of a sudden we love their choices. No, we dont, and I will have more respect for someone who goes against the grain to be true to his opinion, than someone who puts on a false front just to stay popular!

kronenburg

I knew Mark Bingham personally, so hearing Carson Daly's degrading comments struck a very sensitive nerve with me. I will never be able to see my friend again and put my arms around him and tell him how much he meant to me and thank him for his heroism on that horrible day. To hear Carson Daly say what he said makes everything 100 times more painful. Mark Bingham was more of a man and more courageous than you'll ever dream of being, Carson.