Mother of 9/11 Hero

My Son Was Gay

... And Tougher Than Carson Daly

3/29/2012 8:41 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328-alice-hoagland-carson-daly-mark-bingham-getty-exThe mother of one of the Flight 93 heroes wants Carson Daly to know ... gay people ARE brave and tough ... and her son was living proof.

TMZ broke the story ... Daly joked on his L.A. radio show that gay people wouldn't have been able to take down a crazed pilot who freaked out on a recent JetBlue flight ... instead, they would have been more interested in going to a "floral convention."

Now, Alice Hoagland ... the mother of Mark Bingham ... has a message for the radio host ... saying, "Yes, my gay son was known in our family for bringing me flowers on my birthday and Mother’s Day.  He also was known for careening down the rugby pitch, and, on the morning of September 11, 2001, for charging unarmed down the aisle of a doomed Boeing 757 to face knife-wielding Islamist thugs in a hijacked cockpit."

She adds, "No one among his pick-up team of fellow passengers was asking 'Are you straight? Are you gay?' No one doubted that a guy who weighed 220 and stood 6’4” tall -- who could run over a charging opponent on the field, and ran with the bulls in Pamplona earlier that summer -- would be an asset to a desperate group trying to overcome a threat onboard an airliner."

"The world has its share of strong, heroic gay men. Gay men in sports uniforms and military uniforms have been winning America’s games and fighting America’s battles for a long time: quietly, humbly, and in the face of vicious bigotry."

"I hope you and I may have an opportunity to talk sometime. I prefer to believe you didn’t mean to offend. Good luck to you."

Alice Hoagland
Mother of Mark Bingham
California Golden Bears Rugby, University of California, Berkeley
San Francisco Fog Rugby Club
United Airlines Flight 93 Newark to San Francisco    9/11/2001

EchoOfSilence

Damn right. GO BEARS!

gibby

it was a joke idiots!!!!at the very least carson is bi cmon anyways....

maria

Carson Daly you are a such moron! you are eating the hand that feed you! 99% of gays are on the movie,tv business and you are on it! I bet your boss or PR 's are gays you are generalizing everyone wich is wrong,I always said this guy is weak and not smart I wonder what you doing on "The Voice" show ...shame on you weaks of the weaks !

maria

It not makes any sense to me his words about gays..what that have to do with being gay? in his narrow mind gays people are handicap? they can't do nothing? his mind is small like a pea!

JBrennick

Where's a poll so we can settle this?

Patrick Henry

I am so over the 911 talk...and the overly promoted politically correct speech and gayness.....sheesh.......they have it so bad..try living in India with families that live in trash sorting trash for a lifetime, or in chine with radio active rivers filled with our cast off pc and machine parts. whay! so tired of hearing how really anyone in America straight gay or alien should complain or be hypersensitive.

Also too people...quit giving your energy to the 911 illusion by the ptb.

And lastly..Harvey since you create these gay persecution stories out of nowhere change tmz to queer magazine since that seem to be your total focus this past year.

ShrinkWrap

Well, this really didn't help Carson's already failing career, but why the f does everyone have to be so politcally correct? It was a joke. Get over it.

Ronnie

I cannot stand this irrelevant light bulb headed punk. He talks too much and I cannot even believe he had his job on MTV for so long. Folks in radio and the news, media, etc. have a responsiblity. I am all for freedom of speech but where is the tack, and simple common courtesy? He makes me sick. Calling him gay would be a HUGE insult to gay people. He is just a douchebag.

Al

BTW, remove "gay", and insert "black" into Daily's comments, and all her would break loose on here, with the homophobes not defending his comments. People are so disgusting.

Daly, was referring to exactly what gay people would do if a plane were being hijacked. Well, he was proven wrong.

I applaud people on here who have their heads on straight (no pun), and call out an *******, for being an *******.

Are you actually telling me that if someone made fun of you, or degraded you, you'd just sit back and take it and say nothing?! If you would, you're a coward. It's hightime that gay people stop putting up with the crap that people say about them. Hell, everyone should do that!

Someone on here claimed that Carson was a comedian. O'rly? That's news to me!

Al

Carson called out gay people. Why would anyone be upset that someone responded? This proves yet again that so many people, especially on here, are completely stupid. They want everyone to spout whatever the hell they want, and have people sit back and take it. What this woman is saying, is exactly related to the crap Carson was dishing out.

Also, for the homophobes on here spouting their garbage, keep proving exactly how gay people are treated in society. You are actually doing the work of the people you are so offended by.

big d

I had no idea that that anorexic bad hair-plugged mess was homophobic. You just never know these.

alex

Carson is a careless twit!
I know some gay men that could kick his ass.
He's an idiot and I won't watch his show anymore!!!

Never response but...

I never response to these but your son is a true hero. I am sorry I had to learn who your son was because of 9/11. Carson - I know you are famous but your words reopened some wounds. You owe this lady a talk to learn what words really do to people.

arale norimaki

carson daly is Closet Homosexual.

jj

Also, this nerd needs to be taken off THE VOICE. Everyone else on the show is cool, but when his large bobble head appears on screen and tries to be Ryan Seacrest it's sooo painful to watch.

There are other "cool" hosts out there.

Get rid of bobble head.