Mother of 9/11 Hero

My Son Was Gay

... And Tougher Than Carson Daly

3/29/2012 8:41 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328-alice-hoagland-carson-daly-mark-bingham-getty-exThe mother of one of the Flight 93 heroes wants Carson Daly to know ... gay people ARE brave and tough ... and her son was living proof.

TMZ broke the story ... Daly joked on his L.A. radio show that gay people wouldn't have been able to take down a crazed pilot who freaked out on a recent JetBlue flight ... instead, they would have been more interested in going to a "floral convention."

Now, Alice Hoagland ... the mother of Mark Bingham ... has a message for the radio host ... saying, "Yes, my gay son was known in our family for bringing me flowers on my birthday and Mother’s Day.  He also was known for careening down the rugby pitch, and, on the morning of September 11, 2001, for charging unarmed down the aisle of a doomed Boeing 757 to face knife-wielding Islamist thugs in a hijacked cockpit."

She adds, "No one among his pick-up team of fellow passengers was asking 'Are you straight? Are you gay?' No one doubted that a guy who weighed 220 and stood 6’4” tall -- who could run over a charging opponent on the field, and ran with the bulls in Pamplona earlier that summer -- would be an asset to a desperate group trying to overcome a threat onboard an airliner."

"The world has its share of strong, heroic gay men. Gay men in sports uniforms and military uniforms have been winning America’s games and fighting America’s battles for a long time: quietly, humbly, and in the face of vicious bigotry."

"I hope you and I may have an opportunity to talk sometime. I prefer to believe you didn’t mean to offend. Good luck to you."

Alice Hoagland
Mother of Mark Bingham
California Golden Bears Rugby, University of California, Berkeley
San Francisco Fog Rugby Club
United Airlines Flight 93 Newark to San Francisco    9/11/2001

Michael

Well said Alice. I'm sure Carson didnt mean to offend anyone sometime jokes are done without a lot of forthought but I appreciate Alice's words they are so true.

theresa

Carson Daly is an ass!!!

yabber

look from now on nobody make any jokes unless everyone on the planet is consulted and is not offended especially the small minded

H. Hawkins

One data point....one story such as this one.....does not disprove what Carson Daly said in his characterization of male homosexuals. I'm sure this woman's son was strong and brave. However, the vast majority of male homosexuals are effeminate, dainty, weak, and not prone to engaging in violent behavior. When you think of a male homosexual, you think of someone not like this mother's son, but someone who is not going to get involved in physical violence.

Kari

What an insensitive ass Carson is.

M. Booker

Beautiful Alice. Thank you and may your son RIP.

SMITH

I dont understand where this world is going, should someone be scared to say how he feels . Why would he be called to explain what he said about Gay. If you dont want anyone to talk about Gay is cause u know is Dirty so stop it. Thanks

Julles

Carson....that was so ignorant of you to say...I know gay people, men and women, that could beat the crap out of you!!

TJ

Without gay dudes, would Carson Daly even have any fans?

Warren

Harvey, you are gay and not EVERYBODY accepts that. People are separated by politics, ethnicity, skin color, religion, class, income, tastes, likes, dislikes, and everything else in the world that makes a person feel like an individual. Stop harassing COMEDIANS for doing their jobs you queer ****ing fascist.

Bill

Stay classy, Carson and The Heteros.

ALWAYS stay JUST as f'ing classy as you are.

Vince

So we have one exception to the rule, and its his mommy coming to his defense. Thats the same as my mom telling me what a handsome guy I am. The fu**ing guy already had to say sorry once. LET IT GO. Do you have nothing better to do with your life?

Blah

Carson Daly Has always seemed like a smart guy, I think he is trying to start this controversy to get himself in the news. So people remember him.Since no one does anymore. Any press is good press they say.

loki_thegod

lulz! Carson Daly questioning someone's masculinity... that's some funny stuff right there. I wonder what HIS excuse for being effeminate is.

vince

what carson said about the "gays" was wrong and a stereotype. i'll tell you what isn't a stereotype "gays and there mothers have no sense of humor". get over yourself you ****. let your son rest in peace.