Mother of 9/11 Hero

My Son Was Gay

... And Tougher Than Carson Daly

3/29/2012 8:41 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328-alice-hoagland-carson-daly-mark-bingham-getty-exThe mother of one of the Flight 93 heroes wants Carson Daly to know ... gay people ARE brave and tough ... and her son was living proof.

TMZ broke the story ... Daly joked on his L.A. radio show that gay people wouldn't have been able to take down a crazed pilot who freaked out on a recent JetBlue flight ... instead, they would have been more interested in going to a "floral convention."

Now, Alice Hoagland ... the mother of Mark Bingham ... has a message for the radio host ... saying, "Yes, my gay son was known in our family for bringing me flowers on my birthday and Mother’s Day.  He also was known for careening down the rugby pitch, and, on the morning of September 11, 2001, for charging unarmed down the aisle of a doomed Boeing 757 to face knife-wielding Islamist thugs in a hijacked cockpit."

She adds, "No one among his pick-up team of fellow passengers was asking 'Are you straight? Are you gay?' No one doubted that a guy who weighed 220 and stood 6’4” tall -- who could run over a charging opponent on the field, and ran with the bulls in Pamplona earlier that summer -- would be an asset to a desperate group trying to overcome a threat onboard an airliner."

"The world has its share of strong, heroic gay men. Gay men in sports uniforms and military uniforms have been winning America’s games and fighting America’s battles for a long time: quietly, humbly, and in the face of vicious bigotry."

"I hope you and I may have an opportunity to talk sometime. I prefer to believe you didn’t mean to offend. Good luck to you."

Alice Hoagland
Mother of Mark Bingham
California Golden Bears Rugby, University of California, Berkeley
San Francisco Fog Rugby Club
United Airlines Flight 93 Newark to San Francisco    9/11/2001

Kathy Fitzpatrick

Hi Alice. My Son is in the Air Force. He is not Gay. But, I'm sure he works side by side with people who are Gay. I heard this recently and wrote it down....."When a Soldier Dies, ask not of GOD how he could allow such a Brave Man to Die. Instead, Thank GOD for allowing such a Brave Man to have lived." My Son has seen the horrors of War in combat in Afghanistan. Your Son was a Brave Soldier too. Nothing feels better than being proud of your children for doing what many of us can't. Thank You Alice, for lending the world your Brave Son.

Dee

Dear Carson Daly NO one cares about you ! Total Request Live has been off the air for years lets face it your a effin nobody!! Making a joke about passangers on a hijacked plane fighting for there lives is not a joke And I guarantee if someone who was 6'4 220 lbs looking to fight you, you would run like a coward!! Your lame attempt at trying to be funny FAILED !! show some respect to the people/ Heros who lost there lives on 911.

Dee

Actually a lot of the FLUFF you are referring to was proven to be accurate by the many accounts of 911 operators who took the calls that day from the passangers of flight 93!! You are either anti American, or Homophobic. Give credit where credit is do!!The people on flight 93 died trying to save there own lives !!!!

A

I would rather have 2 of these men than 1 of Carson. A boring skinny white man or a buff, happy gay man? I want the gay man.

4THELOVE

Now ask yourself, Carson Daly, are you MAN enough?

Susan Olivarez

God bless you and your family. I also agree that Mr. Daly was probably joking.

peezy

Tell this bitch to get over it and move on nobody cares about her she did nothing

taz

Well said. Carson is an idiot who probably did mean to offend. He offends me every time I see his giant head and bug eyes. How would Carson D. stop terrorists, by "eyeballing" them to death???

andy

The most shocking element of this entire story, was to find out that Carson Daly is still being broadcasted in some form, . . . WHO KNEW?!?!?!?!?!?
CRAZINESS!!!

chloe87

and now a Carson Daly is a Bully facebook page has been launched to share the stories. Douche. http://www.facebook.com/CarsonDalyIsABully

Grumpinmcpunkkin

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And everyone is entitled to defend themselves or others, but sometimes it makes me wonder if they are really defending or just looking at the opportunity of ten minutes of fame.

Robert

First, who gives a s#*t what Carson Daly says or thinks? Second, we really need to get rid of the first amendmant because it has become obsolete. EVERYONE in this country has become so sensitive it's a sad joke. I'm tired of celebrities issuing BS apologies for being honest and expressing themselves. They fear backlash or losing endorsements or being labled negatively. Enough! This has just gotten ridiculous.

FMB

SNAP! We love you Alice! Thank you for Mark!

Carson is even more of a LOSER now than we already knew he was.

srsly

Free speech isn't dead - Carson had a right to say what he said. And everyone else has a right to let him know what we think about it. That's how free speech works. I personally think it's better to know bigoted douchebags are bigoted douchebags straight from their own mouths, so we can avoid them in the future. Sometimes the acute pain of humiliation helps them turn over a new leaf of understanding, as well. No, the First Amendment is alive and well. The only loser here is Daly.

kate

Glad that this now bugs people. Because in the late '90s in Chicago on the radio Mancow was an utter and total bigot and said homophobic things every day and people just laughed and no one questioned it.