Mother of 9/11 Hero

My Son Was Gay

... And Tougher Than Carson Daly

3/29/2012 8:41 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328-alice-hoagland-carson-daly-mark-bingham-getty-exThe mother of one of the Flight 93 heroes wants Carson Daly to know ... gay people ARE brave and tough ... and her son was living proof.

TMZ broke the story ... Daly joked on his L.A. radio show that gay people wouldn't have been able to take down a crazed pilot who freaked out on a recent JetBlue flight ... instead, they would have been more interested in going to a "floral convention."

Now, Alice Hoagland ... the mother of Mark Bingham ... has a message for the radio host ... saying, "Yes, my gay son was known in our family for bringing me flowers on my birthday and Mother’s Day.  He also was known for careening down the rugby pitch, and, on the morning of September 11, 2001, for charging unarmed down the aisle of a doomed Boeing 757 to face knife-wielding Islamist thugs in a hijacked cockpit."

She adds, "No one among his pick-up team of fellow passengers was asking 'Are you straight? Are you gay?' No one doubted that a guy who weighed 220 and stood 6’4” tall -- who could run over a charging opponent on the field, and ran with the bulls in Pamplona earlier that summer -- would be an asset to a desperate group trying to overcome a threat onboard an airliner."

"The world has its share of strong, heroic gay men. Gay men in sports uniforms and military uniforms have been winning America’s games and fighting America’s battles for a long time: quietly, humbly, and in the face of vicious bigotry."

"I hope you and I may have an opportunity to talk sometime. I prefer to believe you didn’t mean to offend. Good luck to you."

Alice Hoagland
Mother of Mark Bingham
California Golden Bears Rugby, University of California, Berkeley
San Francisco Fog Rugby Club
United Airlines Flight 93 Newark to San Francisco    9/11/2001

Gerald Bingham

As Mark Bingham's father I also want to say that my son might have been gay but he was a man of honor and pride. And for someone to think just because a person is gay makes him less of a person doesn't know what he or she is talking about. My son was a hero along with the other 39 people on that plane. And I know in my heart he was right there in the middle of that fight. Carson Daly shame on you And as for Bobo Frog get a life.

Exo

If you want to be treated equally, then you're going to be made fun of equally...a true stereotype of gay people is their need for censorship when someone makes a joke about them..."If you can take a **** up your ass, then you can take a joke" -Tracy Morgan

Mary

i am sorry that you would comment on someone being gay so what i have more faith in Mark for doing what he did on that day 911 were you there and Alice you were GREAT

JBrennick

Carson was just joking around. Anyone getting offended is stupid.

Tracey

From the first time I saw Ms. Hoagland on tv, literally hours after the events of 9/11/2001, I was blown away by her courage, grace, poise, resilience. In some way her face on that television brought me comfort because she was able to take this unthinkable tragedy help flesh out the loving selfless acts of bravery on her son's plane. I truly do not believe any body has left such an inspirational impression with me. Your words to Mr. Daly were equally as graceful, poised and kind. I hope he has contacted you to say he is sorry. His comments were terribly insensitive. Your beloved son is a hero. Thank you.

Kimo

now i hate him even more! what a *****.....

San Diego

Way to go Alice. You nailed it. I see where your son got his character and strength from. He was a true American hero.

kt

BRAVO! Where does some wanna be star get off on condemning and attacking ANYONE? I would have been proud to call your son my friend and my hero.

Kate

Carson Daly has no talent. He deserves no attention. Thats all I have to say about that.

Caroline

I didn't hear Daly's remarks myself but they sound pretty offensive.

Lori

Good for that mom. And shame on Carson Daly. I guess no one cares about your career, you have to stoop pretty low to get some attention.

LadyN

Wonderfully said, Mrs.Hoagland and so true. Carson Daly is sucha dope.

TheMarshmallowMan

Carson Daley is an idiot, MOST gay men are jacked and take care of themselves physically

Jen

How does she know that her son charged at knife-wielding terrorists on Flight 93? She couldn't possibly know that. Carson Daly made a dumb joke. Who cares? It was a joke. So sick of all this PC bullsh*t in America.

honesty

Dr.Henry Adams at the UVG first performed a study proving that homophobic males were sexually aroused by homosexual erotic, while non-homophobic men were not. This study has been confirmed by many other University studies since then(Just google Adams and homophobia). So when you see someone slashing out insane hate at gay men, feel sorry for them. They are just expressing their own discomfort at their own true homosexuality, or they would not even care.