$640 Million Mega Millions

You Got a Better Chance

of Dying By Flesh-Eating Bacteria

3/30/2012 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0330-lottery-getty
If you think you can win this week’s mega lottery, think again ... you have a better chance of being killed by flesh-eating bacteria than rolling in lottery gold.

The Mega Millions jackpot is at $640 Million (and rising), with odds of winning at roughly 1 in 176 Million ... but get this ... 1 in 3 people think winning the lottery is the ONLY way to be financially secure in life (eeek!).

So we looked into the odds and found a bunch of crap that is more likely to happen to you ...

-- Death by lightning: 1 in 2,650,000
-- Death by flesh-eating bacteria: 1 in 1,000,000
-- Getting eaten by a shark: 1 in 11,000,000
-- Death by fireworks: 1 in 1,000,000

That said… office pool?

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Tell it to the winner, TMZ...I'm sure they'll tell you to suck it.

2idiots

What are the odds that Harvey will quit kissing Kim Kardashian's ass on daily basis? I'm guessing I have a much better shot a winning the lottery.

A.Lakin

Funny thing is my dad DID DIE of flesh-eating bacteria in 1994... not cool, TMZ.

A.Lakin

A.Lakin

Lala

well not anymore thanks Harv. lol

2idiots

dolphin: 20 minutes ago
Better to play the CA lotto, your chances are better and it can be over 10 mil. Does the winner of the MegaMillions have to make their name public? yikes, I'd hide.
------
There are a few states that require you "go public", others will release your name if requested and many that allow you to remain anonymous. should you win, it's best to claim as a blind trust or corporation.

Denver

Until the drawing, the thought of winning and all that entails gives a person hope and a good feeling. Regardless of the outcome, for a lot of people that is something.

2idiots

GREEN - L: about an hour ago
I'm MAD as I can be because the STATE OF FLORIDA doesn't want to join THE-MEGA-MILLIONS-LOTTERY...HORRENDOUS!!!
----
Well you cud jump in the car and drive to Georgia or maybe one of the states along the panhandle that does have Mega......people from Canada are driving across to the US to buy tickets.....you're not thinking outside the box (yet Canadian are which is odd)

NHBILL

Please remember that while "you gotta be in it to win it" it makes absolutely NO Statistical sense to buy more than One Ticket.

If you bought a Million Tickets your odds of Losing are still way, way over 99%!!

So have fun and buy A ticket.

But don't throw your money away and buy more than one.

steeler fan

So freaking what, I think most people that participate understand the odds. It's still fun to imagine what you might do with that much money. I don't smoke, I don't drink, so why not spend a few bucks on a couple lotto tickets, somebody has to win it!

dd

Flesh eating bacteria is not as rare as you think!

Dingy

Don't mean to nitpick but the headline doesn't make sense:
"You Got a Better Chance of Dying By Flesh-Eating Bacteria"
Lottery chance - 1 in 176 nillion
Flesh-eating bacteria death - 1 in 1 million

brenda

From Dumb and Dumber...
Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]