Octomom

Now On Welfare

3/31/2012 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0330-nadya-suleman-Welfaretmz-exOctomom is doing what she swore she would never do -- go on welfare ... TMZ has learned.

The mother of 14 is getting $2,000 a month from the State of California. The money is deposited directly into a special debit card account (see above). The card can ONLY be used for food -- and it's closely monitored by the State to make sure the cardholder isn't making illegal purchases -- i.e., buying a bike at Costco.

It's a cruel twist, for a woman who vowed in 2010 -- a year after giving birth to octuplets -- she would NEVER go on welfare, saying she refused to become "a self-fulfilling prophecy" by accepting government assistance.

Octo qualified for the card because her income is less than $119,000 a year ... and a family of 15 that makes less than that amount is entitled to welfare benefits

In case you're wondering, the $119,000 figure is based on an average of just under $8,000 for each member of the household. The more kids, the more you can make and still receive welfare.

We’re told the cash-strapped mom has taken her children out of private school, except for her one son who has autism, saving her $4,000 a month. And as we first reported, she's even posing topless to make ends meet. But it just wasn't enough.

It's a sad story, but one we saw coming from a mile away.

Umm ok...

How dumb is this lady? She already had 6 kids that she couldn't take care of and somehow talked this weird doctor into implanting 8 more inside of her all at once. I agree with the other comment on here, why isn't she expected to hold some sort of 9 to 5 JOB!

peoplearesilly

This makes me want to puke. The doctor that did the procedure should have to pay to support those kids.

AntiSocialForum.com

Geez, no wonder the State of California is broke. Giving away money to a bunch of lazy baby makers.

Rob

Another loser liberal democrat sucking up MY money. All liberals should be steralized...save us all a lot of money.

supermom

Hey maybe she should try out one of the MANY spam ads on your comment boards.... hm.....

jeannie

Octomom isn't a mentor for girls but it irritates me that old Harvey puts a story up about some people's faults after TMZ practically drools over trashians.

Norman

I believe I just read that she did a spread for a nude magazine. Now I am sure she got more that $119,000. for that. Ans she still gets welfare/ This is why the country is going to hell. We reward bad behavior- having kids out of wedlock with money. Stop the money and watch the birth rate drop.

ummm?!

Having her kids in a private school is/was a total waste of money, that could have been used to feed and clothe them.

cjunk123

$2000 per month is chump change. You know how much the medical bill was for 8 premature babies? I agree with the poster below -make the doctor pay.

makeitstop

half these postings are spam

LPD

this isn't exactly news..she has been on welfare for a while..she talked about free tuna on her ustream blog..my heart breaks for the older kids..the humiliation they face every day because of Natalies poor, delusional choices...to the parents of students at WCS, good on you! I just hope welfare covers therapy for the older three..

_Taterman

I'm amazed that she lasted as long as she did. Now you people in Cali get to pay for her kids! Work hard folks!

There's a problem here

The bytch also used student loan money to be a medically impregnated whore so not only are the taxpayers funding her mistakes, the taxpayers funded her ability to create those mistakes. What's wrong with this picture?

SarahBeebee

Everyone saying she should get a real Job! You are not being realistic. She is a Single Parent of 14 kids. 8 of them are under 5 yrs old. Realistically any Single mother of 8 children under 5 would be unable to get a real normal job. Even if she did get a normal 9-5 job. Whatever she earns that day would probably not be even enough money to pay for a babysitter for 1 day. What she needs to do is find a rich husband to marry! With all her publicity. I am surprised some old rich sap feeling sorry for her hasn't already offered her a marriage proposal.

freaksloan

I have been unemployed for 3 years, my wife makes less than $24,000 a year and we are a family of 4 and we can not get any government assistance, because I have money in my savings.