Katie Couric

Her GMA Hosting

Pisses Off 'GMA' Staffers

4/2/2012 11:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0402_katie_robyn_EX_01
Katie Couric
's debut as a fill-in host this week on "Good Morning America" has pissed off some of the GMA staff, who feel it's a slap in the face to vacationing co-host Robin Roberts.

GMA is breathing down the neck of "Today" and could overtake it in the ratings this week, breaking years of NBC morning show dominance. Katie's week-long stint -- along with the fact that millions of people have their TV sets tuned to ABC because of "Dancing with the Stars" -- could put it over the top.

Our GMA sources tell us it's disgusting that honchos chose the week that Robin was on vacation to put Katie on the show. They note Robin has been co-hosting GMA since 2005 and is a big reason the show is doing so well.

As one insider put it, "They should have put Katie on when George was on vacation."

And the contingent of GMA staffers who are pissed off is large -- because Robin is well-liked. And, sources tells us, although Robin is unhappy with the Katie move, she has not badmouthed anyone.

As for Katie, ABC sources say she had nothing to do with the decision to fill in and she was very conscious today that she was a "visitor on the set."

Mad in California

I say why? Robin is the reason I watch GMA. Katie is just annoying.

Tanna

Robin Roberts is nice but she is not polished at all. She seems inexperienced - despite her experience. Nice, but not very good & some mornings it's really annoying to watch her "sheepish" attitude & kiss-butt interviews. Katie is much, much better.

jay

those of you who are calling for sharpton and jackson are not too far from the mark. couric and georgie have taken many racist shots at the tea partiers, but the mainstream media are the TRUE RACIST. America has the first black president before the first black nightly teleprompter, i mean newsman.

Ruby

I can't believe they would replace Robin with Katie!!!!! What a let down! I won't be watching GMA this week!!!!

Jake

What TMZ forgot is that the brilliant Sarah Palin is going to fill in for grating and ungraceful Couric.
I will at long last be able to stomach the NBC network in the morning, at least as long as Sarah is there.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Sarah would host that spot during the election turbulence.

Maria

Can't stand Katie Couric. Love Robin. The only problem the head honcho's have with Robin is that she makes Georgie boy look like a dwarf; but thats not her fault, is it. As for dirty tricks, this isn't couric's first time and it won't be her last. She's like Oprah; why in the hell can't they just face it ; IT'S OVER. No one wants to watch them any more.

Nick

Katie the reason it's harder for you to get up is because you are an old bag who is getting long in the tooth. You're a has-been....

GBM

Cannot wait for Robin to return from vacation. The forced hospitality amongst the cast is nauseating and almost stepfordlike. I'll be tuned out to GMA while KC is guesting.

kathy

katie couric, seriously? well goodbye GMA ratings.

paula

I have watched GMa for decades and robin Roberts makes the show - can't understand why they would ever think that Katie could even come close to what robin brings to gma

Sophia O

FIRST of ALLLLLLLLLL, I am outraged with GMA for Putting that KATIE Lady there..... I wanted to just turn off my TV. I didnt even know ROBIN was on vaca... ROBIN IS THE ONLY REASON WHY I WATCH GMA AND SAM,,, MY Honey Bunny!!!! lol.... ANYWHO, I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THIS AT ALL, AND WILL NOT WATCH FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK PERIOD......................

Larry Linn

Deep down, Palin is shallow!

Josephine Costa

I do like Katie Couric. HOWEVER, Robin Roberts is GREAT!!!!!! Don't believe anyone can replace her! If RR is no longer hosting, I am no longer watching!!!!!

Debbie

I could not figure out why gma was making such a big deal. I guess others feel the same. Would rather see robin. If Katie couric is going to fill in no reason to have so much hip. No other fill is given so much publicity.

Brenda

I will not be watching this week. Do not care for Katie Couric. They replaced George with Josh. Why couldn't they do the same with replacing Robin or better yet - use Lara Spencer. Bad Bad Bad