Oprah Winfrey

OWN Was a MISTAKE

4/2/2012 11:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0_f61oxajz_0_oxgprp9m(1)
Oprah Winfrey rues the day she ever launched the Oprah Winfrey Network -- claiming the entire operation was one giant mistake ... doomed from the get go.

The Big O appeared today on "CBS This Morning," confessing she might not have created OWN if she could do it all over again -- "The idea of creating a network was something that I wanted to do. Had I known that it was this difficult, I might have done something else."

She added, "If I knew then what I know now, I might have made different choices. If I were writing a book about it, I could call the book '101 Mistakes.'"

As we previously reported, OWN has been struggling BAD -- chopping a large chunk of network employees last month ... right after it was forced to cancel Rosie O'Donnell's show.

leslippe

the mistake was in the call letters; she should have named it EGO

3Storms

It was destined to fail, but her ego commanded her to have her own entire network named after herself

Donna

Oprah DID NOT SAY LAUNCHING OWN WAS A MISTAKE! Once again TMZ making stupid inflated remarks to create controversy!

Jan

Ratings for The Oprah Show were down too. Oprah should have stayed out of politics. She lost half of the viewers worshiping Obama the way she did. She chose unpopular people to do specials with. Sarah from England,Chaz Bono,The Judd's etc. Rosie O'Donnell has a very small fan base now. Giving her a show was dumb. I think Oprah is tired of Gayle King speaking for her. LOL. Gayle was a terrible talk show host on OWN also. While I admire what Oprah did for the African girls, I think there are plenty of black AMERICAN girls in the US that need help too. She could have helped American too. Oprah needs to relax and enjoy her billions. The public does not need her mouth anymore.

Tinalouise

WTF TMZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she did NOT say that and this headline is so misguided. She said it was a mistake to start it when she/it wasn't ready.She made the analogy to getting married, walking down the aisle when you aren't sure if you are ready to. Stop making **** up.

KicksandGiggles

I think Oprah's resources & best energy could have been better served providing media and programming opportunities for those not in the hollywood circles of connections and $$.

Lori

I agree if the channel wasn't on such an expensive cable program espically in this day and age when people are cutting back. Along with her Oprah program was on during the day when homemakers, umemployed, people who work from home watched it was on at a best time of the day as well. From what I understand the OWN channel isn't on during any of those prime times either. It's a combo of lots of things and not just one thing or her fault is my thoughts~~

LeeMoney

Let me translate: Have I known I would have lost this much money, and that I couldn't have led my zombie followers like I did before..I would have never have done this. I appologize that I wasn't able to drain you (my viewers) of hours upon hours of your pathetic lives.

Lemonade

Oprah take your billions and go away. Unless you are going to do something truly useful for the (American) society that made you a billionaire we don't NEED any more of your ego.

stu

O should have known better. Another tv channel that repeats what the others r offering is the last thing the world needs.

vern dufford

Hell if she can't do it...who can!

pipa

i boycotted tv along time ago,it is filled with propaganda shows and parties traying to their agendas,internet FTW BABY,

Scotty

Her show was a huge success because of the first rate producers that ran it. I actually don't think Oprah has very good judgment when on her OWN.

FLO

Advertisers pay millions of bucks for access to the viewers. Most viewers will not pay to access her channel/shows, she should have done her homework and started a free channel.

Maverick

Forming OWN is called arrogance and greed.

It's not like Oprah isn't already one the wealthiest women on this planet. Making billions off of her lower income women who watched her show . . . she had to go off and try to make even more money. Pure greed.