Oprah Winfrey

OWN Was a MISTAKE

4/2/2012 11:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0_f61oxajz_0_oxgprp9m(1)
Oprah Winfrey rues the day she ever launched the Oprah Winfrey Network -- claiming the entire operation was one giant mistake ... doomed from the get go.

The Big O appeared today on "CBS This Morning," confessing she might not have created OWN if she could do it all over again -- "The idea of creating a network was something that I wanted to do. Had I known that it was this difficult, I might have done something else."

She added, "If I knew then what I know now, I might have made different choices. If I were writing a book about it, I could call the book '101 Mistakes.'"

As we previously reported, OWN has been struggling BAD -- chopping a large chunk of network employees last month ... right after it was forced to cancel Rosie O'Donnell's show.

Sharlene

Sorry to see that you are having difficulties. If it is worth having than it is worth trying. If not move on. We all respect you for trying and it has to have been a learning experience,

just saying

she did not say OWN was a mistake, she said she made some mistakes in building it. i agree that timing had a lot to with it. she has some great programs and is creating great programs however, they appear to be hit and miss as they are lost in the midst of the mediocre ones (the beverly johnson show is just a travesty) as well as the multi-episodes of the "space fillers". perhaps transition to lower level cable access as well as better programming would increase ratings i truly wish the best for oprah and much success for OWN.

Holly

Oprah was good enough to carry her own show, but she's nowhere near the talent that's needed for an entire network. She let her ego take over and now she is swimming in regret.

Breaking News

Did Oprah comment on George Zimmerman's shooting of Trayvon Martin case as she touted on HLN promo saying "he [Zimmerman] did it, we all know he did it" - convicting a man before an arrest has been made? I suspect Orca has been focusing more on Obama's re-election than minding her business.
Who exactly died and left you the judge and jury, Orca? And who exactly is "WE", it sure isn't me. I am stilling waiting, looking forward to learning that he did/didn't commit murder based on the facts, not on your conjecture

Dave

Of course it was a mistake. EVERYONE could see that going in. But, when you have waaaay too much ego, like Oprah, you fire anyone who disagrees with you, so of course everyone around her is going to tell her her ideas are wonderful.

Oprah is not very intelligent -- but she's very rich, so people kiss up to her. The fact that she is not a nice person to deal with is coming back to bite her. You reap what you sow, honey. America isn't nearly as fond of you as you are of yourself, Oprah.

Breaking News

If her network fails, will we have to go through 3 more months of her saying goodbye again and how much everybody LOVES HER?
Oprah, I saw The Color Purple once and while it was a good movie, seeing it once was quite enough.
Now you can it again and again every day at OWN.

American Mom

Try to rectify yourself by saving the American Soaps! After you left ABC everything has changed. Most of your viewers were General Hospital fans who kept the TV on after their show was over. You got lots of their ratings. Now ABC is making a big mistake in considering Katie Couric replace GH altogether. You caused this Oprah! You can fix this and save General Hospital from being cancelled. You don't want to be only remembered as the woman who ruined the American Soaps do you? After all you have done, Saving General Hospital would put you back up there with the American people for sure.

kim

Interesting.

David

You're a mistake

Nicole

No, it was a brilliant idea, she just didn't execute correctly. She should have had the final season of, "The Oprah Winfrey Show," on the new network. It would have brought viewers and started the habit of turning to 189 (or whatever channel it is for people.)

lona

I do not have to pay extra for her channel but what gets me is all the old shows. There are Dr Phil shows from 6 years ago and some of the other shows she puts on are repeats from ID channel or TLC. The current ones are the awful Rosie show or shows about Oprah or Gayle. Worst channel I think I have ever seen. Oprah did say a few weeks ago that she only puts shows on her channel that she finds "uplifting". Isn't this channel supposed to be for her viewers not for her? Shows that did have possibility ended up not being good because of the uplifting thing. Ryan and Tatum I thought would be good but it went out with a fizzle, same with the Judds. Discovery Health was much better than this crap. Oprah's ego is way too big for her to make the changes needed to fix this channel so I expect the whole thing to fold up and I can't wait. She is beyond conceited when she can put only her own picture on the cover of a magazine for years and years. Oprah, how many billions do you need? Either let someone besides yourself pick the shows or just retire already!

jarrod_sinclair@yahoo.com

Only way she got to where she is at...was paying the audience..what do you think all the gifts where for.As fool ...public let her do it..shows how greedy people are.

jtwop

does this mean that Discovery Health can come back???

heidi thomas

I love 90% of the shows....

sasha