« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE Superstar Randy Orton

SCRAPPED from 'Marine' Flick

Over Military Past

4/3/2012 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

WWE superstar Randy Orton

WWE superstar Randy Orton has been 86'd from the lead role in the upcoming movie "Marine: Homefront" ... amidst outrage from several Devil Dogs who claim Randy deserted them during his brief stint in the USMC.

A rep for WWE tells us, "WWE demonstrated poor judgment in signing Randy Orton for the 3rd installment of the film."

The rep adds, "Despite Randy's popularity, the fact that he was dishonorably discharged from the USMC made it inappropriate for him to be cast in this film."

The move will surely satisfy Cpl. Mike Vinn ... one of Randy's former unit members who was FURIOUS the wrestler was ever up for the role in the first place ... since Orton received a bad conduct discharge in 1999 after going AWOL on two separate occasions and disobeying an order from a commanding officer.

Orton was court-martialed and served 38 days in a military prison.

Before Orton was scrapped from the project, Vinn told TMZ, "I am disgusted that his face and the word Marine are being used next to each other -- real or fake -- because of the fact that he quit us, the country, and the Marine Corps. [Randy] in the role of a Marine is a disgrace to those that have worn and are wearing that uniform."

Randy Orton in a marine uniform

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Marine

Its funny to see comments from bitches on here thinking they could last one minute in the Marines. Have you bastards would not last a day.

tgrfan42069

marine navy or army they all fight for our country..but for some reason the marines think they are the only ones who go into battle.to hear them talk they are ten foot tall and bullet proof big egos they have.

opa46

As a former combat veretran, who served in Viet Nam, I understand why the Marines do not want Orton to be in a movie real or make-beleive about them.
The guy is a coward who ran out on his responsibilities to
his unit, his country and all of us who proudly wore a uniform of The United State Military.

Bagheera

You know, the WWE used to have a show called WWE Confidential that ran from 2002 to 2004 on Spike TV. One of the episodes dealt Randy Orton's dishonorable discharge from the marines for going AWOL twice.

One thing that was never clarified is what was the order from his commanding officer? Did they say "OK, you must now enter the home of these unarmed civilians and shoot them all until they are dead"? Before you condemn Randy, maybe we should wait for more details? Disobeying a commanding officer would have resulted in many innocent lives being saved, and I am not just talking about Randy Orton in this sentence.

Napricorn

Let me first say I'm a HUGE Randy Orton fan. I'm relieved that he isn't going to do this movie. I just don't see him being able to carry a whole film and have to you know...show emotion. Maybe he would have surprised me, but as soon as I heard he was in it and the premise I rolled my eyes and thought "this is gonna be horrible" John Cena was terrible in Marine 1 but he was great in 12 rounds. He needed to grow and so does Randy. That's What I Am and more small parts like that will do him some good before he tries to star in a movie. Action or not.

KUSUM SHAH

HEY RANDY THIS IS KUSUM SHAH FROM MUMBAI INDIA I AM 62 YEARS OLD I AM THE BIGGESY FAN OF YOURS I HAD 2 CHILDRENS OF 26 AND 21 YEARS PLEASE DON'T SHOW MORE AGGERESSIVE NESS IN YOUR MATCH THAT COST U A LOT THAT'S Y U LOST AT WRESTLIMANIA MATCH AGANIST THE KANE PLEASE REPLY IF U CAN THANK U ALL THE BEST IN FUTURE

Bunnie

It's not that he has never been in the service it's that he was in it he made a conscious choice to serve and betrayed the faith of his brothers and sisters that he promised to protect! I'm not a big fan of marines but when u sign on that line it's a pledge. I just believe it was tactless to put him in that role and even worse that his past was known and it was ignored by him and by the casting directors not cool at all. It caused disappointment on all parts including his.

RandyOrtonFan4Life

The way i see it,is that Randy was scared to be in the Marines and he didn't think it through and enlisted because he felt it was the right thing to do at the time, yes i understand the fact that it was wrong for him to go AWOL twicw but again he couldve possibly been scared to go to war which i wouldnt blame him for war is a scary thing and even if he wouldve been able to stay in the Marine:Homefront his past should stay bhind him dont bring it to the present or future its the past leave it there he knows what he did was wrong. He wasn't disrespecting the Marines in anyway by being the lead role the way i see it is he was honoring them and supporting them he cares about the Army all parts of it so that is how i see this whole situation is stupid

OrtonFanAlways1

I think it was wrong for the WWE to lay Randy off because they claim they just found out about Randy's dishonorable discharge from the U.S.M.C. when they already knew about it! I believe Vince pulled him out of the movie because you got all these people bitching for nothing! Randy made a mistake years ago and people still want him to be punished for it! Wow some country we live in! it allows murderer's to go free but they want to try and ruin a man's life and career because they are jealous and dont want to let go of the past! Some people just need to grow up and leave Randy alone!

sudeley

Who cares what he did in the past, its a movie, just movie cinematics, he is a good entertainer let him be in the movie and stop being prejudice.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3