'Community' Creator

Chevy Chase Was DRUNK

During Voice Mail Rant

4/3/2012 10:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0403_chevy_chase_voicemail_ex
TMZ has obtained an audio recording of "Community" creator Dan Harmon discussing the Chevy Chase voice mail moments before playing the tape for an audience at a recent comedy event ... in which Harmon calls Chase an "A-hole" who was probably DRUNK when he made the call.

Harmon played the tape at an event called "Harmontown" -- a monthly comedy event he hosts at an L.A. comedy club.

Sources tell us ... while on stage, Harmon vented about Chevy's alleged tantrum during the taping of the season finale of Community ... explaining, "I had written a very simple scene that Chevy couldn't possibly f**k up."

We're told Chase objected to the scene ... but Harmon says he stuck to his guns because he had an emotional attachment to the material.

Chevy walked off the set ... but according to Harmon, Chase eventually sent Dan a text message in an effort to smooth things over.

Harmon didn't accept the apology ... telling the Harmontown crowd, "I said f**k you ... you breached your contract, you're an a**hole."

Harmon continued, "And then what happened a day later? That night ... after what I'm guessing is two bottles of Beaujolais? Ladies and gentleman ... Chevy Chase." Harmon then played the entire voice mail for the crowd.

Among the new soundbites ... Chase tells Harmon, "If you were here now, I'd f**king kick your teeth out." He adds, "You're not funny ... you're OK."

Still no word on whether Chevy will return to "Community" next season.

Tim S

Chevy didn't sound drunk on the voicemail & he's right - you shouldn't insult someone in front of their family.

Emerson

Chevy Chase - the Keith Olbermann of comedy.

Chris Jackson

Chevy, please tell "Community" creator Dan Harmon to go **** HIS MOMMA! You can say it came from me! **** Dan Harmon's momma!!! To say something like that at a wrap party with your wife and daughter around is Unforgivable! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRJnEbt89w8

john

Chevy Chase may be old and unfunny anymore and does give off the air of arrogance. Harmon also doesn't exactly illicit sympathy regardless of what this fight it about. Embarrassing the guy in front of his wife and kids??? totally uncalled for; if he had a problem with the guy he should have taken it up with the suits Chevy may be arrogant and have a ego but at least he is for the most part decent enough to keep work releated issues private and i believe harmon escalated and egged him on to the point of pushing chevy to respond.

well whoever's at fault i don't see chevy's options for work lining up given his ego and his fall in popularity; he's getting on in years and not as funny as he used to be. Should consider retiring from the business

HARRY NIPPLES, Jr.

What do you expect from a couple of drunken democrats whose career came from luck - and neither ever really had to work very hard. Neither even knows what the term hard work really means.

Danny

HARMON IS COMING OFF AS A JERK. CHEVY KEPT IT IN HOUSE. BUT HARMON PUT IT OUT THEIR THEN HE ADMITS CHEVY CALLED TO PATCH THINGS UP AND CURSED HIM OUT. THE PERSON THAT SHOULD NOT BE BACK NEXT SEASON IS HARMON. I DO LIKE THE SHOW BUT IT DID GO DOWNHILL THIS SEASON

Jennyy

Am I the only one who suspects this is a set up "Chuck & Charlie" routine to build up attention before the next season? Harmon is really sounding irrational and seems to be going out of his way to keep this going. Why?

Lia

I have no idea what to think of this. I've always accepted both Dan and Chevy as some of my greatest idols. They both handled this situation badly. As much as I love Dan, he should NOT have played this at Harmontown. I hope they can reconcile soon because, quite honestly, I love these two and it breaks my heart to hear them say these kind of things to each other.

truthintam

Dan Harmon is a complete idiot. Chevy Chase has more talent, experience and humor in his fingernail than Harman has, and Chevy has earned and has a right to a modi*** of respect. For this D-Wad to publicly humiliate him in front of his wife, daughter and the whole crew is the height of disrespect and unprofessionalism. I predict the show will be canceled very soon without Chevy, and no celebrity of this caliber is going to want to work with Harmon again.

Fresh Perspective

That guy, Harmon, is grabbing his moment of spotlight via Checy Chase and working it in the direction of helping us all see Chase's point- Harmon is a mega gross LOSER. He's not supporting his position in a positive way but allowing himself to be judged just as Chase sees him. I second Chase's vm comment, Harmon is, most apparently, a fat f@#$- a-hole. Grow up, Harmon.

Fuzzman

The show isn't funny.
Neither is Chevy Chase.
Who cares?

Arla

Chevy Chase has always come across as a huge a$$hole in real life and once again there is solid proof. I liked Dan Harmon for playing the voicemail (after all Chevy did tell him to play it for everyone around him..) and I like him even MORE for being a class act and offering a full, non-backhanded apology, something public figures nowadays DO NOT KNOW the meaning of. It's always "I'm sorry BUT..." or "I'm sorry IF I hurt anyone" NEWS FLASH, if you have to apologize, YOU HAVE HURT SOMEONE. Suck it up like Dan Harmon did and do it right. I am now a huge fan of Dan Harmon.
Oh and the bottom line is, if you don't want people to hear what you said in a voicemail, maybe you shouldn't have said what you said. Next time try only using words that you can stand by. And also don't get wasted first.

KatBanks

Dan- Cussing Chevy out at a wrap party and airing the voicemail publicly were obviously huge mistakes, which clearly you know by now. I know you have an emotional investment in the material, but "Community" is still a job and your cast and crew deserves better than this. Community is in a vulnerable place and this is the last thing it needs.

Chevy- Community is better with you, and it would be a shame if you were off the show, but you're far from the best thing about it. You are continually rude and demeaning to the writing staff, production crew, and your fellow cast members (especially the ones who aren't Alison.) Take your ego down about 500 notches and treat other people with the respect they deserve.

tl;dr You both owe the cast and crew better than this. Learn to play nice and pretend you're both adults for the sake of the show.

candy

Chevy Chase was absolutely right. The show needs better writing and it is not very funny.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3