Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

dollarbuild

Everything Burger King makes is crap.

obama'saracist

bull sht,she is not that dumb she is however a celeb liar,just like we are still togather,we are not togather we are not prgnant insert celeb name here

Tyler

"for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken." I have never heard of that. You are being overly sensitive now.

lalaland

Lay down with dogs and you'll get up with fleas.

John Kimbal

All stereotypes aside I was honestly kinda feeling that song lol

brown dynamite

So no Mexicans in any ad featuring a taco, no Blacks with chicken, and no Asians and rice. Un-****ing believable.

Carl

She is so full of garbage. I don't find the spot offensive, but even if someone did... what did she think the commercial would look like? She knew she would be standing in a Burger King singing about crispy chicken. Is she offended that they showed the product? She is only saying this now to try do deflect controversy from her. Again, whether or not it is offensive is open to debate, but her acting like she didn't know how the spot would turn out is a lie.

Brandy

People need to get over this so called stereo typing! Its a freaking chicken wrap ad for goodness sake! She chose to sing the song, so hows that stereo type! Ugh! Get over it People! You cause all the stereo typing your selfs!

Harold Brown

All this stereotype crap is BS. Chicken is for everyone. If chicken is racist, why is there BOTH dark and white meat on the crazy bird?

EL Mexicano

What was the big deal about that commercial? I did not see anything offensive.

Anonymous

There was NOTHING in that spot that was wrong. We now have a new standard for stupid though.

Pudding Tang

suck it up and take the stereotype that you created kneegra

Just_Me

That commercial is garbage. I was actually surprised to see that she agreed to that when I first saw it. Kudos to her for objecting to it.

Mazor

Considering that watermelon and fried chicken tastes so f*cking good I don't understand what the big deal is. Why is it racist to accuse someone of liking food that tastes good?

I just can't wait to hear what Al Sharpton has to say about this.

PT

I don't get it - everyone likes fried chicken and watermelon.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments