Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

Genjerleigh

So if a black person participates in a commercial advertising fried chicken it automatically is reinforcing a negative stereotype? Aren't we being too hyper sensitive? Should black people quit eating fried chicken all together so they won't have to worry about being a stereotype? hey, lets take it all the way if we're gonna be so sensitive about it

Pompano Ann

Way to go MEDIA, with all the headlines, not to mention our leader. Keep making it a black and white nation!

tessa

just about the stupidest claim I've ever seen, all races love fried chicken and no one cares that a very talented black woman sings the song, it ain't about race. It's about advertising and BK just pulled a whopper.

Jim Keen

Wow Hyper sensitivity anyone? Get over it...

Bruce

Nothing offensive about that commercial. It was not a great commercial but some of you need to grow up and realize it's JUST a bad commercial. I'd fire the ad agency but for general quality and nothing to do with stereotyping.

JAMES GOLIA

1st; I love chicken. 2nd; I'm Caucasian; 3rd; This black oppression is destroying what little positive movement toward all races trying to join together. Come on!!! It was over a chicken sandwich. If it were me or an Asian or any other ethnic celebrity performing the commercial, NOTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN MENTIONED!!!!! All 7 Billion people on this beautiful planet have RED BLOOD FLOWING THROUGH OUR BODIES. It's time to let racism go to hell and we need to follow in MLK's footsteps.

JAMES GOLIA

1st; I love chicken. 2nd; I'm Caucasian; 3rd; This black oppression is destroying what little positive movement towards the joining of all races trying to be as humans. Come on!!! It was over a chicken sandwich. If it were me or an Asian or any other ethnic celebrity performing the commercial, NOTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN MENTIONED!!!!! All 7 Billion people on this beautiful planet have RED BLOOD FLOWING THROUGH OUR BODIES. It's time to let racism go to hell and we need to follow in MLK's footsteps.

QuarkHadron

Huh? Wow, I think that is pushing the race card kinda hard. I would not have seen a 'stereotype' if it hadn't been made into an issue.

So, why aren't Popeye's commercials 'stereotypical?' They even go out of the way to play on the woman's accent....

I think people are just being silly. Nothing offensive in this commercial.

STFUP

Oh give me a break. Why, whevever anyone black is asked to talk about/sing about/advertise chicken there's an instant cry of 'racism'?
Yes, I get that fried chicken was once, LONG, LONG, LONG ago associated primarly with black slaves - but c'mon. It's 2012! I know plenty of people of all colors and races that like chicken. Get the F**K over it!

MzReeses

All I have to say is thanks for the new ringtone BK and Mary J

Just Reading

I was seriously looking for a major stereotype when I first heard about the outrage associated with this ad, but all I see is a good singer doing a cheesy commercial and am left wondering how much they paid her for it or if doing cheesy commercials is now the alternative to doing Las Vegas shows.

MJB's #1 Fan

As Mary's #1 fan, I had to comment. I don't think Mary would have done the commercial if she saw it to be stereotypical.

It's a chicken wrap -- not a chicken leg, wing, thigh or breast. She's not eating it with grease all over her face, while a mouth-watering piece of watermelon sits waiting on the side. And let's not forget a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 to help wash it down.

NOW THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN TOO MUCH.

Get over it, people. Everyone loves chicken.

Carissa

I love this show. I watch it EVERYDAY!!! Maxx is the best and the rest of the crew are good too. See y'll at 7pm

Sammymom

WOW I was feeling that song all the way to Burger King oh well Hi Mc Donald's

alliestp

How is truth a stereotype. Really? Fried Chicken is a staple of southern african americans and its a dinner staple everywhere in African American families. Give me a break. African americans perpetuate their own stereotypes.