Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

Richard Head

What the hell is racist about that? She was singing about what was in the damn thing. She didn't say, oh all that I eat is chicken. Here we go with this politically correct crap all the time.

Kira

Why are African-Americans being offended.It's just like what they did to Beyonce. I actually enjoyed and was amused by the commercial, the tune was catchy and the manager singing was funny.

Kira

hoodsfield

burger king exec: so ms blige would you like a million dollars to sing about our new fried chicken sandwich?

mjb: sho would

mjb's agent: ms blige cool-aid is on the other line they need an answer because if you dont take it tyler perry is going to dress up as a woman and do the spot, u want it?

mjb: sho do

Karen

Anything for attention Burger King and Mary J. are laughing all the way to the bank. There was nothing wrong with that commercial.

Steph

I watched the video and for the likes of me can't see what all the fuss is about. I am a Black Female, who in my younger days, after a long day or after partying, along with my friends would look foward to going to BK. And yes, although this particular snack was not yet offered, fried chicken definitely was not out of the question. I don't see anything wrong with the commercial. Its called competiton people. BK is competing against McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell, Subway, you name it, for a piece of the market. Why not use an icon such as Mary to gain a portion of the market. Many of us do like Fried chicken, so what the heck. For that matter we should be criticizing the majority of what we see in the media as offensive. MJB is singing and I like it. Black folks I'm talking to you(us): stop letting what others think or imagine about us , define how we should think and act. I do like Fried chicken, as tons of white folks do, and I don't mind Mary K Blige promoting it. In the past, our celebs couldn't get spots on national TV to promote anything. I'm glad Mary sealed the 2 million to do it. Way to go Mary and stop apologizing for doing the spot, nobody else does, so why should you.

Ashley Brazzel

This actually made me very hungry.

trampus

There's nothing racist about this at all, it's just stupid and she's embarrassed she needed the money. Why would anyone think it's stereotypical? Because she mentions the chicken twice? That's kind of the whole selling point of the item. Nobody wants the lettuce and cheese wrap.

Truth

So what if black people like chicken?
Latins and asians like rice.
European dissent like roast and potatoes.
WGAF? All ethnicities have a food staple.
Get off the **** and bull idiot buggy

Truth

Crispy chicken clap clap clap
Finger lickin clap clap clap
3 trippin cheese clap clap clap
Get me a lawyer snap snap snap.
Cause dat sym racest crap crap crap
break it down .. boyyyyeee

Tit4Tat

She knew better to take that gig, after everybody was trippin on MC Hammer for doing that KFC commercial.

ValVal

Lol... I watched the video before reading the article and I didn't think for a second that it's a stereotype commercial. And yes, I'm aware of the chicken joke with black people. Honestly, you think everything is offensive. And when they start adding only white people, THEN you get mad that there aren't any other non-whites.

Tony the Giant

I wanna go to Burger Chef. That's where I wanna go

nikki6

I didn't find that commercial offensive at all. People are being WAY to racially sensitive. So she's singing about the ingredients in a chicken wrap, what's the big freaking deal? Black people like chicken, it's true. But, so do whites, asians, latinos, hell even idians like chicken. If it was Taylor Swift of Miley Cyrus singing about a freaking chicken wrap it wouldn't even be a big deal. This is so ridic

GaryR

Soooo...I guess white people can't sing about steak? This country is out of control trying to cater to every little bitch people have. As with most issues, it's the Press that blows these things out of proportion hoping to find some fringe group that will take the ball and run with it...ala Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Al Gore, etc.