Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

Smokey

I didn't see anything wrong with that commercial....

Ellen H.

I'm sorry.. black people do love chicken. Especially fried chicken. Have you ever been on a Greyhound bus? Black people eating chicken with mac & cheese and hot sauce. No joke. Cliches are cliches for a reason. It's not being racist.. it's just the truth! Sorry.

jerryf

Don't get the problem. Because black people had a stereo type about eating chicken, she can't sing about chicken? The association never even entered my mind as I watched it. Saw it as just another pop star selling out for money (maybe that should be the stereotype?). IF she had worn a red kerchief hat and some coveralls, THEN I could see complaining about the stereotype. But as it is COME ON.

fred

TM sucks......glorifying talentless so called stars. Never heard. Of. Paris Kim k or even Monica Lewinsky till they sucked a famous **** now they are celebrities

Cheryl

Oh Please there is nothing wrong with that commercial if it were a white singer there would be no complaints.

kel

Hmmm...I just read another article from a different perspective

Dee

One African-American that's not at all bothered by the Mary J controversy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqNqFUnm9cc&feature=youtu.be

AnDrade

I think the issue is that she is too big of a star to be doing such a commercial. Fast food commercials just shouldn't be done by A-listers. Period. That fact makes it cheesy and would be the case whether she was black, white, or whatever else. I think any race should be able to sing about chicken though, haha. If black people like chicken, so what? Why is a cultural food that has gone mainstream for its goodness considered to be bad? Mexicans are proud of tacos, Italians are proud of pizza, etc. I could see if it was a degrading food that actually is a false stereotype that few people eat (e.g. Chitlins). But, its not! It might be kinda racist if everyone tip-toed around a black person (not an A-lister) ever doing this type of commercial, but allowed everyone else to do it. Awkward!

mike

It is called racesist if blacks are not used in ads.
Then if you use them it is stereotypeing stop crying all the time and tell me just what the he## you want.

Ernest De Brew

I do not see anything discriminatory or stereotypical about black people. How stupid can you be?

brenna

i am a Mary fan and i love the commercial

wraptap

The same old stereo types keep coming back because of your white mean ancestors. I know you wish these things would go away, but its a horrible history inherited by you, there grands and great great great grands. Don't get made with black people because your ancestory created a hedge that you can never pull off. Instead teach your child that the previous generations treated other races and cultures terrible. When this is understood by your grands and great grands, these stereo-types will slowly vanish. The hear after starts now or will continue.

emO

ITS NOT RACIST IF ITS TRUE!

Thom

Isn't this racist, why, she could be Obama's daughter. Besides, if they had cameras why didn't they just have Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton do the ad, any ad, just as long as there are cameras present.

LondonGirl

I don't see what is so bad about that ad.Cheesy , yes, offensive , no.I speak as a Black Woman....