Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

Selebraties Suck

How f'ing stupid has America become?

Abe

I like Burger King.

Mary J. Blige sucks. Period.

x

MP

Who cares about the stereotype...if Ms. Blige is aware of what she is doing and is OK with it, then it's much ado about nothing. I am sick of all this political correctness.

Selebraties Suck

I never want to see an Italian actor portray a Mafia figure again!

Sean

Did she cash the check?

Uh oh i am screwed

Oh please some people will complain about anything. There was nothing offensive about that at all. Burger king has slumped to a new low of over politically correct bs by pulling this ad.

MikeD

big deal !

michael

So what's wrong with it???? I don't see the big deal, get over it.

betty

Kentucky Fried Chicken didn't get rich and have franchises just selling to blacks Tell me a person that don't like fried chicken and I will show you a person that don't like good eats.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

There's nothing stereotypical about it. It is FACT.

regsclemente

So...she didn't know she was singing about crispy chicken when she was singing about crispy chicken? Hmmmmmmmfffff. No the blacks have to apologize to their own kind for singing about something they love? Weirdos....

Valerie

That's just stupid. White people don't like chicken?

Abel GARCIA!!!

that is idiotic!!!! So, no Mexican's can do that spot because there's a Tortilla, and no well nobody can do that spot because Lettuce is grown all over the world... Make everything in to a race thing just to get your name in the paper... It's idiotic!!!!

SeaDawg

a complaint like this just keeps the steryotype going. It shows that it bothers you so that encourages people. Im sick of the constant whining.

Larry

General's Fried Chicken, it's butt kickin'
breasts, legs, and thighs...lol