Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

arale norimaki

You know he does have point about that Colonel. I never trusted the Colonel. Slaves cooked that chicken. Aint no white man know anything about herbs and spices and gibblits.

just cuz i eat chicken and watermelon they think there is something wrong with me...let me tell ya something if you don't like chicken and watermelon something is wrong with you something is wrong with you...where are all these people who don't like chicken and watermelon.

offtheproperty

White people eat fried chicken, too-oo.

Chris

I fail to see what is so offensive about the commercial, other then being a little lame...?

don't see it

I just don't see it... Everyone is all PC. I agree with brown dynamite "So no Mexicans in any ad featuring a taco, no Blacks with chicken, and no Asians and rice. Un-****ing believable." Relax people!!!!!

Jim

So sad what the world is coming to. I see nothing racist about this commercial. People have become overly sensitive regarding stereotypes created by ignorance. Fighting ignorance with ignorance is just as bad. Truly sad what people have become.

maranda

No one is mad about the Popyes lady...

GreenEyes

oh my god, now black people are so sensitive that a black person cant sing about chicken?? get over your selves, i likes the commercial, i hate how those black people act...

suuzie

Dont' see a thing wrong with that commercial and to top it off the chicken wrap looks delish.

JC

I understand that she's embarrassed after the fact, but come on, she knew she was singing about fried chicken. How else was it gonna turn out? lol

Gina

MJB can say what she wants, but she did know what she was singing, regardless.

I am Spartacus

so now black people can't promote or sing about chicken because we don't want to stereotype? Seriously? What is wrong with that commercial. Only racist people see race in that commerical.

Bonnie

That spot looks final to me.

Mikey

She looks like mental patient standing on top of a counter in BK with sunglasses on singin' about fried chicken.

Completely mental.

Mikey

Ok, you stand on top that counter with sunglasses on, we lower the lights and you start singing about fried chicken while other people start to dance.

Sound good to me, where my check at?

Mikey

So the only reason she's upset is because it wasn't set up as a dream sequence?