Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

No comment

So the model Kate Upton makes love to a hamburger and people love it.
MJB sings about chicken in a commercial and it is a racist ad? It called cashing in. Although the color of the skin of the person tearing the chicken was white.

I guess blacks can only cash in on sneakers and vodka.

GooBella

I'm sure she wasn't complaining when she got the paycheck from Burger King and I'm sure she won't be giving the money back either. Anybody else find it funny that she refers to herself in the 3rd person?

ibjujub

Hey African Americans,,,better not do any commercials about chicken....you'll be a flaming racist if you do. SHAME ON YOU Mary J, SHAME ON YOU!!! The next African American that makes money off of chicken better watch their a--!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

ibjujub

African Americans are getting to be so hyper-racial, that mentioning chicken and African American in the same sentence is racist???? I hope they understand the alienation they've created with race bating.

Saba

I hate how mJb has to make this a race issue I am mixed and don't find this offensive, I gladly be in a fried ckicken commerical

freaksloan

Why are black people so sensitive? I'm just asking.

maria

I don't understand this: you are black and you can take it about eating chicken? you are black and now you have to be called Afro-Americam? since when? black is black Hispanics don't get upset because people say they eat frijoles and rice,Mexicans don't upset because they eat tacos and burritos...Indian,Chinese,why is the Blacks are getting sooo sensitive? are they shame of being black and eat chicken? I love chicken too,it is getting out of proportion the race thing ,thanks to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson inciting the blacks against the whites...... and everything is racism! it is stupid !

Meomy

Good GOD people, get a grip!!!!

Clyde T.M. Nestra

I don't get what the problem is. Other than her voice sounds like it would crack a mirror. Is that what "everyone" is up in arms over or does she sound like that normally? I sure hope not.

Elizabeth

There is nothing offensive about this commercial. I'm assuming Burger King was trying to do what McDonalds did with the Big Mac song. It's 2012 people, I know that racism and stereotyping are still around but this is just silly. I'm white and love crispy chicken just as much as the next person, and I personally find it offensive that anyone would think delicious chicken is limited to one race!

Truth

"a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken."
Because black people really don't like fried chicken at all. Just like Jews don't own anything in this country. SO DON'T ANY OF YOU SAY OTHERWISE or you go to pc jail.

Elizabeth

Mayu

is that the commercial in question? Because she sings about "Crispy" chicken, it's playing off a stereotype? Seriously? Black people can't sing, talk or think about chicken anymore without it being a stereotype? Can we say "over sensitive?"

maria

Burger King should not apologize to anyone ! taking the ad off give more power to black people ! tellin them they are right .... this is a FREE COUNTRY Freedon of Speech !

hotbitch

I'm black and don't get all the hoopla. Frankly, I'm more offended by TMZ calling black people African-Americans. Like we need a damn hyphen. SMH.