Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

el polacko

so now it's 'racist' for a black person to eat a chicken wrap??? ridiculous.

Erica

Watch me dance to the Mary J Blige Burger King commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNAavdytyMo

FNR

People have to stop being so senitive about this kind of stuff. I do not see any problem with this ad other than the fact that it is just lame overall. Come on folks we have bigger fish (or chicken) to fry in the world then something like this!

Nishima

CHECK Out the Burger King ROBBERY! http://liveoncampus.com/wire/show/3364379

burning_plastic

She sounds good and I don't think it matters what she is singing about.Is that a remake of one of the songs on her record? I like it.

Superman

So, are we suppose to just ignore the fact that a majority of black people love fried chicken?!? Why do you have to cry racism on everything?!? Black people make fun of white people all the time about being nonathletic and stiff, but that is even less believable than black people loving to chow down on fried chicken, watermelon, grits, and collard greens.

Daniel

I'm confused. I thought African-Americans liked fried chicken. I'm not African-Americans but I like fried chicken but instead try to eat healthier cooking methods like grilled. McDonalds has a great grilled chicken salad.

Daniel

Collard greens can be very healthy. I would say all races could benefit by eating them (notwithstanding the cooking method, lay off the butter, think steamed). Can't we all just get along.

anna

wtf is this.

PaulWS

How can anyone ever be sympathetic about real issues, when morons are getting offended by stuff like this?

Lindy

I watched it and didn't see anything wrong..what am i missing?

virgosiempre

If this so called stereo typing is true, I believe it is ridiculous to write about it. Each culture has their favorite foods. Black Americans are the biggest whiners. Grow up

boricua4669

I don't get it ?! I think is a fun advertisement ...

Truth

I'M 1000% OFFENDED BY HER CRAPTASTIC SINGING!!!!! UGH... SHE SOUNDS COMPLETELY HORRID!!!! #TRUTH!!

Seriously

I thought this was a free country?! Why in the hell does everyone, someone have to jump on any little thing as being racist? I bet if I write on here that "I dislike the color black" someone will twist that to mean that I hate African Americans and say I was racist. If I said "I like being white" in public, it becomes twisted and now I'm part of the KKK. Has America really come to this? Are we so seriously sensitive that I cannot just make a commercial or write a song, or just speak about my likes and dislikes? Must we all walk with our heads down and our mouths taped shut? WE allow stupid people to influence our minds that everything being said is directed toward race. It's not. I should have the right to make a commercial with a Black person buying chicken, or a Mexican buying burritos, or even a White girl buying a BMW. The commercial is for everyone to see. There's no hidden agenda. It's a commercial for God's sake !!! I'm multi racial. Should I not watch a Black, White, Mexican, Asian, or any other commercial because it doesn't have a guy who's mixed in it?

Stop creating trouble!