Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

BobDaBuilder

She KNEW that doing this would have some backlash from colored folk. C'mon, son!

ohreally

Im cryinnnnng lmaooooo why mary whhhhhhhhhy lmao

ohreally

I don't know what's worse, that MC hammer (or was it bobby brown) KFC popcorn chicken commercial in the 80s (or was it 90s?) or this.

Both above the requirements for cringe-worthiness.

yorky

only in America will happen these i don't see no European Asian having these issues people they more import things than getting mad at a B K add.

Shasmith

Dang, I must have missed the stereo type because I was listening to her sing. I love that voice....

Crystal

I wasn't even thinking about the sterotype, I was just thinking that the song is soooooo stupid, LOL, and she was singing it with feeling LOL.

rob

NO ITALIANS IN A PASTA COMMERCIAL!! I FIND IT OFFENSIVE! RETARDS!

Larry

I don't see anything wrong with this add at all. People have become so stupid and just want to be cry babies and play a race card ANY chance they get. I honest thing they could have done a better job at writing the words for the commercial an they could have used a better singer. What is next, Lady Gaga singing about about drinking tea and people yelling that it is racial? GROW UP!

Iceman

Only in America... You can watch lady gagas cover with a dress of steaks or even naked, Nikki doing whatever you want similar to gaga, the italian bimbo crew snooki & co stereotyping the italian community and laughing at that, but for a boring ad spot you can see controversial things... Well hope BK is now done by wrapping this ad prank.

Briana

To be honest, if you're not black, it's not your place to say whether this is racist or not. Same goes for Asians, Hispanics and all other races, and ethnicities when it comes to something that they're stereotyped with. Me personally, I found the commercial stupid, not offensive. But I call bull**** on Mary's allegations.

Erica

Take a look at me dancing to the Mary J Blige Burger king commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNAavdytyMo

Nickie

I like this commercial. I do not see anything racial about it. I think Mary J. should have worn her hair differently, but I really like this commercial and I don't see why burger king felt the need to apologize for it....it's great. I don't recall anyone commenting on the infamous old school McDonald's commercial in which someone sang all of the ingredients on the big mac....hmmmm! I think Mary J. did her "thing" as usual.

gail

The pilgrims are rolling over in their graves over turkeys!!

gail

I am a white girl and if I decided to do a watermelon commercial I would be racist. Why can't we like chicken and watermelon? Did the chicken tell us otherwise? I hope the cavemen didn't take sides!!

ReneeMacLovinIT!

LOL that commercial is funny...........GUESS WHAT? IM BLACK! 23years old and wasnt offended at all when I watched it, I even liked the McDonalds nuggets commercials too. If I was getting a 6 7 figured check Ill sing about chicken, watermelon, waffles, and kool aid LOL......