Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

bobby

I don't get it.. What makes this racially controversial?
It was a white guy ordering some chicken, then Mary bursts out into song.. Am I missing something?
This ad may be corny, but that's about it.
if anybody gets offended by this ad, you need to be just put out of your misery.

rob

SHE SHOULD BE APOLOGIZING FOR HER SINGING! THAT WAS HORRIBLE! NO WONDER SHES A WASHED UP HAS-BEEN DOING FAST FOOD COMMERCIALS..

ailchi

maybe it"s me ,but what the hell was so wrong with that commercial, im African-Americans and i dont get it, do we have to play the race card on everything,i think the people who pick out things so small like this,to start controversial talk and cause these people to pull their aid,need to get a life,because like myself, im sure mary j didn't think of it that way '''''''' STOP IT PEOPLE'''''

coressa fant

O.K. what was supposed to be so bad about that commericial?

michael taylor

OH SAY IT AINT SO , LOL IT LOOKED LIKE A COMEDY SKIT. NO MARY NO ! BUT IT WAS FUNNI , IM SORRY.

Swins

I am DYING to see how they are going to make that "better" with editing. She is still singing about a fried chicken wrap.

STEVE MICELI

I am sick of everything being racial. What, Black people can't yearn for good chicken like the rest of us. It seems the people making the bucks by seeing racism under every rock are the oppressors of today's black population.

Tabby

Its FOOD!!!! GROW UP!!!!!

Vanessa

ahhahahhahahaha wow my first laugh of the day well I'M black and I love Mary but I don't like chiken or burger king for that matter but this ad is dabbing into some level of rachetness awwwwww but no one is close to the ghetto walmart guy and gals body body body stuff ahahahhahah *dead

TH

The Song is terrible. I don't care if Britney Spears sang it. Why is a 50 year old woman wearing leather pants and singing in Burger King wearing Sunglasses?

Vanessa

dfv

I don't think this is a racist commmerical just a terrible commerical. If I was MJB I would be totally embarrassed that I was a part of this poorly written commercial. Her singing was bad and she looked ridiculous almost like a dude dressed like a woman.

Maria

I'm so old that I don't even know who the hell Mary J. Blige is. But I do know that Burger King food is rubbish; and the best fried chicken in the world is Popeyes.

w

Burger King marketer's did it again, now that song is stuck in my head!!!

Mel

I really don't see how this is anything other than a bed commercial. I don;t think its racist in anyway. It just sucks.