Matt Lauer

Re-Signs with 'Today'

Ann Curry on Chopping Block

4/5/2012 4:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Matt Lauer has signed a new long-term deal with the Today showMatt Lauer has signed a new, long-term deal with the "Today" show.  He will become way richer than he already is, and we're told the next move will be to send Ann Curry packing.

As TMZ first reported, Lauer got close to his $30 million a year asking price, nearly doubling his $17 million a year current salary.

It's bad news for Ann Curry, because our sources say Lauer does not want her as his co-host, and it appears her fate is now sealed.

NBC sources say Ann's likely replacement will be Savannah Guthrie.

chica

Love that Matt will be staying! He is the reason I watch The Today Show. I miss Meredith and I have been unimpressed by Ann Curry. I knew the moment they announced she was the new co-host that it would sooner or later lead to failure. She seems like a nice person but she is really bad doing interviews & not good as a co-host. I hate watching her, she is not professional enough when conducting interviews. I have been extremely impressed with Savannah Guthrie. There is just something about her that just works for the show. She is much better than Natalie Morales or Ann at doing interviews and even chatting with everyone. I think Savannah would be a great replacement for Ann. I have found myself turning to GMA because of the dynamics on the Today show. I hope they do replace Ann.

Ben from Baltmore

If Ann Curry goes, then the Today Show will lose a lot of viewers and I will be one of them and Matt Lauer will just have to look in the mirror to see who to blame. If the NBC/Comcast Cable (NBC is now owned by Comcast Cable) big shots caved to Matt's demands that they would fire Ann to keep him, than expect to see people outside 30 Rockefeller Center demanding to see Comcast Cable CEO Brian L. Roberts, NBC News President Steve Capus, and NBC Universal CEO Steve Burke. Plus, the next time that Matt goes to see Jay Leno or Jimmy Fallon, they need to ask him if he's trying to get Ann Curry fired.

Jen

I enjoy the Today show largely BECAUSE of Ann Curry. I think she is a stellar host. I will be very sad if she is let go. She is compassionate, asks great questions and treats her guests with dignity.

Barry Finger

Ann leaves, Igo to GMA.

naomi dworkin

Get rid of matt...keep curry!

uma

To be paid that kind of money, further education, mediation, compassion and humbleness is called for- he needs improvement.

Ethel Lee

Love Ann Curry for her genuine personality. Her humanitarian acts with foreign countries and she has an adventurous spirit.

fredh

How do you justify 25 million a year - 960...00 a day when people fill in for him on his days off and do just as good if mot better, it seems someone else writes all the questions and then they just have to read it. Come on 25 million crazy

joel deatherage

this is exactly what is wrong with america, 30 million a year? hope this over-paid person does something for someone who needs help. what we should do is not buy any products advertised on the today show,because these companies support this rediculous salary

Debbie

Oh no. Please don't replace Ann with Savannah Guthrie. She is the worst!!!!!

Phil

I can't believe that Matt is going to get that kind of money!
He is becoming more and more conceited and pompous to that of the likes of Brian Gumbel (his picture should be included in the dictionary next to the word "conceited”). As for Ann Curry, she admittedly goes way over the top with her syrupy overacting when she does an interview with someone who has suffered some type of tragedy. At times it's almost to the point of being laughable.

However, she at least has some semblance of being human whereas Matt is becoming more akin to the likes of a Ceasar. As for Savannah Guthrie as a replacement...please, give me a break! She seems to be a sweet girl, but who honestly wants to be interviewed by a seven foot tall woman who always seems to be uncomfortable and ill at ease with whatever she is doing!

Bottom line..."Where in the World is Matt Lauer"? Frankly my dear, I no longer give a damn. Time to change networks in the morning.

Phil

I can't believe that Matt is going to get that kind of money… 30 million!!!
He is becoming more and more conceited and pompous to that of the likes of the past host Brian Gumbel (his picture should be included in the dictionary next to the word "conceited”). As for Ann Curry, she admittedly goes way over the top with her syrupy overacting when she does an interview with someone who has suffered some type of tragedy. At times it's almost to the point of being laughable.

However, she at least has some semblance of being human whereas Matt is becoming more akin to the likes of a Ceasar. As for Savannah Guthrie as a replacement...please, give me a break! She seems to be a sweet girl, but who honestly wants to be interviewed by a seven foot tall woman who always seems to be very uncomfortable and ill at ease with whatever she is doing. She may be smart, and she is admittedly very pretty, but she has no place as a co-host.

Bottom line…."Where in the World is Matt Lauer"? Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn. It’s time to change networks in the morning. By the way, I sincerely wish Ann Curry the best of luck and I hope that someday Matt will realize just what an ******* he has become albeit I seriously doubt it. Hell, for 30 million a year I’ll be more than happy to be an *******! ;)

Julie Olen

I used to think Matt was a great guy. Ann is the best thing about the Today show. Is he sleeping with Savannah? Bastard.
I was hoping he'd stay, if this is true he can go to hell.

Julie Olen

I used to think that Matt was a great guy. Ann is the best thing about the Today Show. Bastard. Is he sleeping with Savannah? I used to hope he would stay, but if this is true he can go to hell.

CPARIS

Big $30 million a year Mistake! This will cost the whole show~Ann Curry is the one we watch not Matt Lauer. They should use that money as Matt's EXIT! Good bye Today Show~ We will follow Ann Curry where ever she goes~OUR LOVE IS WITH ANN CURRY!!!