Tyler Perry

Cops Launch Investigation

into Allegedly Racist Traffic Stop

4/5/2012 10:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Tyler Perry presents ... a possibly racist incident with police in Atlanta.
Tyler Perry presents ... a possibly racist incident with police in Atlanta.

The Atlanta Police Department says it's launched an internal investigation .... after Perry publicly accused two officers of racially profiling him during a traffic stop earlier this week.

Perry says he was leaving his ATL studio ... when he made a left turn from the right lane to ensure he wasn't being followed. Tyler explains, "It’s a safety precaution that my security team taught me."

But Tyler was pulled over by police for the illegal turn ... and claims he was harassed by two "hostile" white officers until a black cop arrived to the scene and recognized him.

On his Facebook page, Perry says the black cop "immediately took both officers to the back of my car and spoke to them in a hushed tone. After that, one of the officers stayed near his car while one came back, very apologetic. I said all of that to say this: do you see how quickly this could have turned for the worse?"

Tyler then wrote, "RACIAL PROFILING SHOULD BE A HATE CRIME INVESTIGATED BY THE FBI!!!"

For the record -- Tyler Perry did NOT get a ticket.

Reps for the ATL PD say it's looking into "whether any departmental policies or procedures were violated during the stop.”

1128_cop_encounters_footer

Who Knew

Just do what the cop asks and you would have no problems.

Pudding Tang

Shouldn't he be glad that the cops didn't beat him up for DWI (driving while ignoramous) Rodney King style as they would have in places like Mississippi, Alabama and Florida???

Dominick

Sounds like Perry has a god complex. You broke the law that everyone at one point broke so get over yourself its not like your Oprah!

sherri

yes there should be an immediate investigation into why Tyler Perry DOES NOT CAST WHITE PEOPLE IN HIS FILMS....

"RACIAL PROFILING SHOULD BE A HATE CRIME INVESTIGATED BY THE FBI!!!" yes the kettle is black and america has turned into a bunch of punks

Sin D

Maybe he did something illegal and he thinks he is exempt cuz he is Hollywood. Oops...happens to white folk too. Equality is just that...equal.

Dixie

This douchebag should have gotten a ticket. He's lucky he didn't hit someone making an illegal turn like that. Back in 2004 I was on my way back to work when some guy attempted to make a left turn from the right lane and hit me. The side of my car was damaged badly and my window was ****tered. I was not hurt just shaken badly. The guy got a ticket and his insurance company paid to have my car repaired.

WatcherOne

He's been an a$$ for years. You could not pay me to watch one of his embarrassing movies. Profiling...that's rich coming from him.

Laurie

If I had made an illegal turn I too would have gotten pulled over but because of WHO you are you did not. So tell me where the racial profiling comes in loser. Take responsiblity and pay the ticket anyway. Oh I forgot you are some one special because you have money. NOT!!!

Felicia

I wish I was black so that every time I get pulled over I could use the excuse "racial profiling".

Di

Just another actor trying to be treated differently because he's famous. Tyler, you were not racially profiled. Those cops would have stopped anyone making an illegal left turn. Your fame does not guarantee different treatment under the law.

Just_Me

Who cares what you ignorant white people have to say. It's easy to blow something off when you've never been a victim of anything like this. Half of you are broke rednecks who are jealous of a successful black man and would never in a million years say any of these comments to a black person's face. Stop hiding behind your computer, get out of your trailer and get a job!

Kelly

23% think it's racial profiling to pull someone over for making a dangerous illegal u-turn. Surprising to find nearly one in four is an idiot.

RobN

Make an admittedly illegal turn and then complain because the cops don't kiss your ass? Jackwagon.

Ben

HEY DUMB-ASS Tyler. If you would have made a right hand turn from the right lane and you got pulled over I say Yes, but since you THINK you are better then everyone and ABOVE the law NO Illegal turn means PULLED OVER, STOPPED. And who do you think you are Mr. World that EVERYBODY should know you? Dam brother get a real job.

CasinoPImp

I'm glad this bozo puts "Tyler Perry's..." before all his crap shows & movies so I know to avoid watching it.