Tyler Perry

Cops Launch Investigation

into Allegedly Racist Traffic Stop

4/5/2012 10:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Tyler Perry presents ... a possibly racist incident with police in Atlanta.
Tyler Perry presents ... a possibly racist incident with police in Atlanta.

The Atlanta Police Department says it's launched an internal investigation .... after Perry publicly accused two officers of racially profiling him during a traffic stop earlier this week.

Perry says he was leaving his ATL studio ... when he made a left turn from the right lane to ensure he wasn't being followed. Tyler explains, "It’s a safety precaution that my security team taught me."

But Tyler was pulled over by police for the illegal turn ... and claims he was harassed by two "hostile" white officers until a black cop arrived to the scene and recognized him.

On his Facebook page, Perry says the black cop "immediately took both officers to the back of my car and spoke to them in a hushed tone. After that, one of the officers stayed near his car while one came back, very apologetic. I said all of that to say this: do you see how quickly this could have turned for the worse?"

Tyler then wrote, "RACIAL PROFILING SHOULD BE A HATE CRIME INVESTIGATED BY THE FBI!!!"

For the record -- Tyler Perry did NOT get a ticket.

Reps for the ATL PD say it's looking into "whether any departmental policies or procedures were violated during the stop.”

1128_cop_encounters_footer

Pimpcessa

I just want to know where the 29% of the votes on this thread agree that it was racial profiling. With all the comments on here stating otherwise. Looks like someone at TMZ is playing with the voting numbers.

TJ

Racial profiling is when they stop you for no other reason than you are black. But this idiot admits he mad an illegal turn. I think Tyler Perry needs to get over himself.

ME

With 80% of crime being commited by 12% of the population i am all for racial profiling

Mazor

Attention black people: cops are f*cking *******s to white people too.

On the edge of my seat until Al Sharpton chimes in on this one.

Kelly

Some people aren't happy unless they're being victimized or labeled as a victim.

damienevil

How dare you white cops not know who i am and stop me for breaking the law!!! thank god a black guy who knew who i was showed up..

Disgusted

Blacks always want to play the race card. How about doing the right thing and seeing if life isn't a little better.

Johnny Carcinoma

He admits to making an illegal and patently dangerous turn and calls it profiling when he's pulled over for doing so?

That's just sad on his part.

While racism may well have played a role in the Trayvon Martin case, Tyler Perry's ego is the only problem in this case.

His TV shows and movies are unwatchable, so I guess you can color me unsurprised by this act of conspicuous stupidity.

Ball`s has no Ball`s

What a Looser!Boycott his sh*tty Movies.He is the REAL RACIST !!!

Meggie24

Here's a tip for you Tyler: don't break the law by doing things such as illegal turns and you won't get pulled over by the police. Problem solved. Nothing racial about this at all.

Dom The Mover

Mr.Perry, your an Idiot, welcome to how cops treat people when you break the law, and BTW, you got special treatment b/c who you are, be thankful you didnt get a ticket!

j

What a shmuck. Because my security taught me. It is still a moving violation dumbas s. Supppose I said my security said I could go the wrong way down a one way? re tard ed much. You are not above the law.

Ann

Is he serious? Perhaps they pulled him over for making an illegal turn. I had so much respect for him, until this. Seems everything these day has to turn into a race issue. Ridiculous.

jann

The cops pulled him over because he made an illegal left turn. That's ok. It's what happened after that that is NOT ok, and fits what I would interpret as racial profiling. Why would the officer reach in to turn off the car? If the officer wanted the car turned off, he should have asked Mr. Perry to turn it off. Their attitude, as described by Mr. Perry, could certainly be interpreted as hostile, and, frankly, pretty scary. Did these officers see a large, Black man driving a nice car and think: drug lord? Pimp? They certainly didn't think: Preacher

buzz kill

Do you know who I am? WTF! you make an ilegel turn and somehow think it is racial profiling when you get stopped. I have been stopped for the same manuver and I am not a minority. I guess Tyler Perry thinks being black exempts you from the laws. Laws are for everyone. If blacks get a pass like ilegel ailiens, maybe everybody should ignore them and see what happens. Civil disobediance, its not just for minorities anymore. Why should the laws only apply to whites, that is discrinitation.