U.S. Fighter Jet

Crashes into Apartment Complex

4/6/2012 10:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

F-18 Hornet fighter jet that crashed into an apartment complex in Virginia.This is the smoldering wreckage of an F-18 Hornet fighter jet that crashed into an apartment complex in Virginia moments ago.

The Navy confirms ... the crash occurred around 11 AM in Virginia Beach. Two people were injured -- a pilot and a person on the ground. They were both hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.

The Navy says both members of the 2-person crew ejected from the jet.

The jet reportedly costs roughly $67 MILLION.

It's unclear what caused the plane to go down. So far, there are no reports of casualties.

Rescue crews are currently at the scene.

D-INCARNATION

That $67 million's coming out of their checks...

E

I REALLY hope everyone is ok, this is so crazy.

Foggarty

This is not a $67 Million Plane... The multitude of news outlets reported this was from a training squadron which means they were likely flying an older model hornet which is more in the $20 - $30 Million range.

Just sayin...

kim

here's the hollywood link. the guy, standing in the background of the video neal schon playing "happy birthday" to his girlfriend, is from virginia beach.

There's a problem here

@South Side comment#10 "must have been a woman pilot" Yeah dip_zhit, because you could probably fly an F-18 so much better, right? I doubt if you could even pass the G.E.D. test. I am guessing your mother was a real piece of work.

Dennis Johnson

I just got back from the crash and I can tell you if nobody got hurt or killed they were very lucky.I did see one woman on a streacher but she did not look that bad.The pilots are safe one got hurt and the other looked like he was in schock.......the bottom line it is a mess a real mess.I mean buildings on fire etc.

spartacus

and what does this have to do with Kim Kardashian's ass?

kcjosuebob

I live a few blocks from here and it sounds like everyone is doing fine, no fatalities or anything terrible. The pilots were even asking if everyone else was okay and apologized for destroying these people's homes. 6 people (including the 2 pilots) were injured, but several have already been released from the hospital. It's still too soon to say if it is a casualty-free incident, but it's looking good so far. 5 more seconds and my home would have been annihilated... makes you count your blessings for sure! Now it's time to gather the neighbors and see how we can help these people who have lost everything they own.

Pimpcessa

I used to be stationed at Oceana. Was a jet mech and plane captain (the people you see giving the pilots hand signals and inspecting the aircraft prior to taking off) on F-14's. Fighter Squadron VF101. Our squadron was huge because it trained the pilots to fly the F-14's. Anyway, I actually read a post stating that they "should have gone down with their aircraft" instead of bailing and allowing it to hit an apartment building. The thing with flying is that taking off and landing are the most dangerous times. Those pilots appeared to have done everything in their power to decrease the danger to civilians. And, as someone else stated, that base was there WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY BEFORE those apartments and homes. The NAVY repeatedly attempted to get the city to not build in their flight paths. Sometimes the ignorance of the posters here, in addition to the hateful ones, just boggle my mind.

lisa

Since when is this "entertainment"?

Vanessa

Why is this on TMZ?

nipples mugee

Damn.. For a moment I thought it was that cigar I left burning in the couch...

Kabala

Was Lindsay Lohan behind the controls?

Sue

I live in Virginia Beach and it happen at 12:08p.m.And pilots ejected safely (2)..no deaths as of yet.

Henry

Holy Crap!! An actual News story on TMZ!!! That fighter jet is not the only thing falling...the sky is next! lol

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments