Mike Wallace

Dead at 93

4/8/2012 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Mike Wallace dies at 93.
Mike Wallace -- who spent 38 years with "60 Minutes" before retiring in 2006 -- has died, CBS News announced today. He was 93.

Bob Scheiffer, the host of "Face the Nation," announced his passing on CBS this morning, saying that Wallace died on Saturday night in New Haven, CT alongside his family.

Wallace had been in declining health in recent years.

His last interview for CBS was with retired baseball star Roger Clemens, which aired in January 2008.

Wallace was the first person hired by legendary CBS producer Don Hewitt when he was putting together the staff for "60 Minutes." He won 21 Emmy awards, five DuPont-Columbia journalism awards, and five Peabody awards.

Wallace never had a problem confronting his guests, perhaps best evidenced by two of his more famous interviews -- with Barbra Streisand in 1991 and Louis Farrakhan in 2005 (see below).

parlayer

another LIberal bites the Dust!! and Sooooooo F--king What. Worthless, One sided, Loud Mouth, Script Reader. I Won't miss a Frigging thing he has to say.

Proud2bBlack

Mike Wallace great man, Farrakhan even greater in his argument. Thanks for the memory of this interview, goes to show how Mike knew when to bow out gracefully. He was a superb journalist! R.I.P

Regina

RIP Mr Wallace. Last of the TRUE journalists. They don't make them like they used to anymore, willing to get down and dirty and ask hard questions.
I do have to agree with Louis Farrakan. Don't really like him as a person but he is correct about American govt.

Regina

This got me to thinking about yet another person from my childhood passed away. I remember watching Walter Cronkite on the CBS Evening News. That was our sign to get ready to get bathed and dressed for bed. And on Sunday night during 60 minutes my dad loved Mike Wallace's stories. He liked him alot. He would order pizza's from Dominoes so we would be quiet while he watched it.

Petr

RIP Mr. Wallace.
USA? Why you killing innocent people in EuroAsia? Why you are still in Afganistan? Why you did lots of invasion?? Why? I have lots of prove about corruption between USA and countries in EUROPE for one reason - to start war!!. I am working in radio for 18 years and I couldnt be quiet any more!!! There will be more wars!! Please USA, stop it!!

Kimlove78

Miss him

Ih8Taxes

Well, I can't say that I agreed with his politics because he was a liberal but I always hope that everyone discovers the grace of God and may he find eternal peace and happiness in the name of Jesus Christ.

Truth

MAKES OPRAH LOOK LIKE A PIECE OF SH*T INTERVIEWER. #TRUTH!!

The Neko Nation

R.I.P. Mike Wallace. A true journalist unlike the garbage ones we have now like Katie Couric.

Theresa

Great News Guy... R.I.P. , But you were an A**WHOLE !!!

Beerknurd

What a loss... RIP Mr. Wallace... RIP

parlayer

let me put it this way, Mike Wallace = Junk Yard Dog, twit liberal.

Shawn

Pretty sad when this story has less than 100 comments and the Lohan story has almost 500. Whether you liked Wallace or not, he should garner far more comments than that worthless waste of space Lohan.

DrDeMarzo

Every single word Farrakhan said was true. Every single one. Nobody can deny that. He may go overboard on some things, but in this segment he was right on the mark.

Matt