Joe Eszterhas

Mel Said John Lennon

Deserved To Be Shot

4/12/2012 6:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0411_mel_gibson_3

Mel Gibson celebrates John Lennon's death, claiming he deserved to die ... this according to the screenwriter of the failed "Maccabee" project, Joe Eszterhas.

In a scathing 9-page letter, obtained by The Wrap, Eszterhas claims Mel once ranted about the departed Beatle, "I'm glad he's dead. He deserved to be shot. He was f**king messianic. Listen to his songs! Imagine. I hate that f**king song. I'm glad he's dead."

According to Eszterhas, Mel saved his true fury for Oksana Grigorieva, saying, "I want to f**k her in the ass and stab her while I'm doing it."

And on the business side, Eszterhas claims Mel said this of Ari Emanuel, the head of the William Morris Endeavor Agency: "He's a c*nt Jewboy."

Mel has fired back at Joe, claiming the letter is a pack of lies.

0412_remembering_john_lennon_footer

Ron Obvious

Joe Eszterhas obviously is trying to detract from the simply fact that his script/screen play was terrible, so rather than take the critique, and learning from it, he has chosen to play the race card! Does Joe have family ties to Obama?

I know Joe isn't the only one who could do a script for this movie, and do a much better job. Judging from Joe's other movies he has written, he probably doesn't have the background for this kind of movie. And just because he is a Jew, doesn't qualify him for writing a script for an Old Testament based movie! In retrospect, he obviously has little experience with scriptures or the ideas they promote! Anyway, I hope Mel can find someone to write a script for this movie, as it would be very interesting to see on the Big Screen.

supermom

So what prompted Esterhas to write this? Mel is bat**** crazy-wouldn't be too far of a stretch to believe...

supermom

I wonder if Mel has a psych issue and self medicates w/ booze or the booze has fried his brain?

BC

Wow. That's awfully Christian of him. I dont believe it anyway.

Rich in New Mexico

Yeah and you don't, or rather didn't, see John Lennon in any good movies. So what is your point? Also who ever this JOE ESZTERHAS guy is he sounds insane or else he is simply a nitwit who is dying for attention. I'm not a follower of Hollywood too much, outside of TCM, so is the guy a writer or an agent or something? Why would he be trashing Mel Gibson? Any ideas out there, like I said I'm a bit in the dark about this. Rich in New Mexico.

John Svengali

People say stupid things in private that no one else was meant to hear. I'm not excusing the language. But Gibson has two points: Lennon's song degraded religion. His ex-wife was no good - at least for him. His private means of expressing his disgust and hatred are his own way of venting.

If I said something stupid in private to a friend or confidant and he divulged it, I would feel betrayed. It's easy to pile on Mel Gibson now because his flaws and biases have been revealed which have cost him dearly. He's entitled, however, to think and say what he wants -- we all are, no matter how offensive or stupid.

Frieda

Eszterhas fired a warning shot at Mel way back in Feb, via the NYT, threatening Mel with the title, anti-semite, if he didn't react well to his script. Joe E sux and is lashing out because his big, fat, hair ego can't handle the truth.

Constant

Please discuss the credibility and character of Eszterhas. I need to know if he flips out as much as Gibson sometimes does? How much can we invest in what J.Ezterhas has written? Does he tell grudge lies? Who knows about how much of this we might believe and how much we should trash? What's the record?

JonInVa

Yeah, and Mel causes global warming and malaria in third world countries. Anything else this self-serving screenwriting hack and failure can lay at Mel Gibson's feet?

Jim

I also hate "Imagine".

Paul Booth

Typical insensitive Australian. They hate everybody except their own.

Ramon

He is a very sick man.

snoopy2

Mel hated the script. Writer reacts like a spoiled brat and uses every contentious word or rumor ever written or spoken about Mel to fight back. A real professional never burns one's own bridges.

Bloomcounty.USA

I think that the letter written by Eszterhas should be read by those that are talking smack about him. If the script "sucked" as Mel is saying then why did Mark Gooder (the head of Icon, Mel's production company) say he loved it? I'm going to figure that some either haven't read the letter, or that they're challenged and can't read things that are longer than 140 characters. Self-imposed attention deficit disorders run amok.

Truth

If Mel Gibson was such a bad Guy - Joe Ezterhas, why did you work with him in the first place? Don't believe your drama. Leave Mel alone before you disgrace yourself completely.