Mel Gibson

Joe Eszterhas is a Liar

... and His Script SUCKED

4/12/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0411_mel_gibson_joe_eszterhas_2
Mel Gibson is lashing back at his "Maccabees" collaborator Joe Eszterhas -- claiming Joe's accusations of anti-Semitism are pure BS ... and saying the real issue is Joe's script was TERRIBLE.

Mel just penned a letter of his own in response to Joe's ... in which he states, "I will say that the great majority of the facts as well as the statements and actions attributed to me in your letter are utter fabrications."

Mel acknowledges he recently lost his cool with Joe during a conversation about the movie ... saying, " I did react more strongly than I should have." But he also explains "I promptly sent you a written apology, the colorful words of which you apparently now find offensive. Let me now clearly apologize to you and your family in the simplest of terms."

Mel then explains his frustrations with Joe ... writing, "Not only was the script delivered later than you promised, both Warner Brothers and I were extraordinarily disappointed with the draft. In 25 years of script development I have never seen a more substandard first draft or a more significant waste of time."

In his letter, Mel never specifically addresses Joe's claim that he "hates Jews" or made anti-Semitic statements.

As for Joe's claim that he wanted to get back in the good graces of the Jews, Mel says, "Contrary to your assertion that I was only developing Maccabees to burnish my tarnished reputation, I have been working on this project for over 10 years and it was publicly announced 8 years ago."

Mel's parting words -- "I think that we can agree that this should be our last communication."

MEL'S LETTER TO JOE

Joe,

I have your letter. I am not going to respond to it line by line, but I will say that the great majority of the facts as well as the statements and actions attributed to me in your letter are utter fabrications. I would have thought that a man of principle, as you purport to be, would have withdrawn from the project regardless of the money if you truly believed me to be the person you describe in your letter. I guess you only had a problem with me after Warner Brothers rejected your script.

I will acknowledge like most creative people I am passionate and intense. I was very frustrated that when you arrived at my home at the expense of both Warner Brothers and myself you hadn’t written a single word of a script or even an outline after 15 months of research, meetings, discussions and the outpouring of my heartfelt vision for this story. I did react more strongly than I should have. I promptly sent you a written apology, the colorful words of which you apparently now find offensive. Let me now clearly apologize to you and your family in the simplest of terms.

Contrary to your assertion that I was only developing Maccabees to burnish my tarnished reputation, I have been working on this project for over 10 years and it was publicly announced 8 years ago. I absolutely want to make this movie; it’s just that neither Warner Brothers nor I want to make this movie based on your script.

Honestly, Joe, not only was the script delivered later than you promised, both Warner Brothers and I were extraordinarily disappointed with the draft. In 25 years of script development I have never seen a more substandard first draft or a more significant waste of time. The decision not to proceed with you was based on the quality of your script, not on any other factor.

I think that we can agree that this should be our last communication.

Mel

billy cema

Mel Gibson should stop seeking the company of people like Joe Eszterhas and Oksana Gigorieva. Why was he involved with those two in the first place? Was he that low in his public and private life?
"In his letter, Mel never specifically addresses Joe's claim that he 'hates Jews' or made anti-Semitic statements".
So, then that means it's true that he hates Jews? Why put this in a public forum where those who choose to believe he does, get to spew their hatred?
I doubt that he is homophobic. He hasn't said he hates gays. He may disapprove strongly about what he perceives to be their unacceptable behaviour. But to hate a person who happens to be different on the basis of sexual orientation; well, his church forbids hatred of anyone, so that's hard to believe.
Finally, does Mel spout off such intense hatred in the company of just anyone? For example, Eszterhas and Grigorieva? Doesn't he have just a wee bit of wisdom in his persona? Most people usually reserve their hateful statements for those who are "in" with them, and in private!
Some are making him seem like a blood brother to Zimmerman!

Senior Cabinet

Playing the anti-semite card when not getting your way is very offensive.

Zionism & PR 101

Deflect blame by any means necessary

bunny

and Mel never said he'd put Oksana 6 feet under or hope she got raped by a pack of ni**ers either. We believe you Mel. You're the best in the world!

jayjay

Wow! Joe Eszterhas is such a sore loser! His script gets rejected and now he's taking it out on Mel! I'm sure Mel will find someone who is actually a good writer to write a great script. It's pretty low of Joe to blame it on Mel's past problems. And I don't believe Mel is an anti semite. He has a lot of friends that are Jewish. Love the Passion Of the Christ! It's the story from the Bible. Go Mel! Keep making movies!

Firefly

Mel should just drop all hope of making this movie. Working with the Jewish community that is out to get you will only get you more unwanted madeup negative press. They want to destroy Mel so badly that it hurts. Go ahead, show us what Jews are made of. Let us see in their actions and words if they are truely the chosen ones. For if you were, you would not be treating your fellow man this way. God is watching and doesn't like what he sees. Hollywood is going down the toilet anyway, not much left to see but crap.

zman

Eszterhas wrote the screenplay for "Showgirls" didn't he? What a turd that was...I think both Mel and Joe should put their tampons back in their purses and just swing away at each other. Nuff said!!!!

dogaymenusewetwipes

are you guys bored.....

Cannabinol kid

So what if Mel vented about that parasite Oksana. What guy hasn't vented about a woman who was an absolute c**t. I'm sure he did say he wanted to give her anal and stab her. He was just venting.

anony

These two deserve each other.

max beer

Thats joe eszterhas it looks like RADIO MAN

max beer

MEL was tricked im sure thats radio man not eszterhas

LittleBIt

Joe sounds like an a**hole! Get off of Mel's f-ing back you ugly, no talent loser.

babyz65

I used to have so much respect for him, and his movies, but now I just think of him as a crazy old man........pretty sad, and disturbing. CRAZZZZY

2idiots

for someone who has a measly 450million dollars, Mel's teeth are the most DISGUSTING things I've ever seen. Looks like he hasnt been to the dentist since 1972.

rikki

Mel Gibson is an anti-semitic douche and why anyone in Hollywood wants to work with him at all anymore is beyond me...all the movies he makes nowadays are crap and while they make money, still....maybe he has some redeeming qualities (Jodie Foster seems to have a high opinion of him and she is one celebrity I actually do admire and respect) but he sure seems hell bent on convincing everyone that he doesn't.

That said Joe Eszterhas DOES suck as a writer...he wrote Showgirls for gods sake...only Battlefield Earth is a worse movie...at least Showgirls makes me laugh (best watched when drunk)

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments