« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

'Blazing Saddles' Star

Sues NFL -- I Have Dementia

4/12/2012 4:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Former Detroit Lions star Alex Karras
Former Detroit Lions star Alex Karras -- the guy who played Mongo in "Blazing Saddles" -- says he now suffers from dementia ... and blames the NFL for not properly protecting him from concussions during his playing days.

Karras -- who also starred in "Webster" -- has joined hundreds of ex-NFL players in a lawsuit that seeks medical monitoring, cognitive health benefits as well as financial compensation for the damage he suffered as a result of brain injuries.

Karras' wife has released a statement saying, "Alex suffers from dementia but still enjoys many things, including watching football. But dementia prevents him from doing everyday activities such as driving, cooking, sports fishing, reading books and going to big events or traveling."

She adds, "His constant complaint is dizziness -- the result of multiple concussions. What Alex wants is for the game of football to be made safer and allow players and their families to enjoy a healthier, happier retirement.”

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

ragu4u

"Candy-gram for Mongo. Candy-gram for Mongo".

Surfer Gal

My great grandmother had a Hood's Cookbook from 1890. Even back then they stated that one should spend the penny more to buy Royal Baking Powder, as the cheaper brands were known to cause premature senility in people. Royal was taken off the market because people were too cheap to buy it. We have an old tin of it. They used Cream of Tartar & grape tincture to make foodstuff rise. Nearly all the prepared foods you buy use sodium aluminum phosphate, (or commonly just sodium phosphate) have aluminum in it. Once it enters your body it settles in your brain & never leaves it, leading to premature senility. Nobody wants to know this. Well that's okay. Do what you want. But my family never buys/uses it, & we haven't had any problems in our family with Alzheimer's. I do suspect that down the road there will be huge lawsuits against the food companies, once scientists do the study & release the data between the link between the two.

me

Their new uniforms should be skirts with flags hanging from the the sides. They can then hop, skip and jump their way around the girls football field.

Freddie K

And oh by the way - he forgot to save any money he made from you all so he would also like $100 Million!

peteyraymond

I recall seeing an interview with Alex Karras years ago where he admitted to enjoying toking the ganja. I have to wonder how much THC has contributed to his dementia.

Wignati

If Alex Karras is suffering from dementia and blaming the NFL for getting it, then he really doesn't have dementia. Think about it! Coming from a Dementia Certified Nurse, I can say it's coming more from his POA, which I'm definitely sure he has with the diagnosis of dementia.

Candy Barr

I can't believe how stupid some of the comments are . . . Players back then made a few thousand dollars a season, not millions as the monkeys today. The players then also held down full-time jobs during the off season. And the protection wasn't all padded as it is now . . . Do some research yourselves. I know personally know NFL jocks from the 1960...s, as I am a sports historian. Some complain that the game today is wimpy, but I always say today's players shouldn't suffer from what you all are suffering from . . .

Doug Glass

Sue 'em Mongo! At 77 the only reason you have the condition is because you used your head as a tool in the NFL. Yeah right Bozo ... you did it voluntarily and it got you money and fame. Well, money; the real fame came as a actor. Oh sorry again. Well, you are going after them right? Just keep that fat head out of campfire and you'll be fine.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4