'Bachelor' Racism Lawsuit

Producers Encourage

White Power Mentality

4/18/2012 11:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0417_bachelor_bachelorette
The producers of "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" are responsible for encouraging racism across the country by refusing to cast black people in the shows' central roles -- this according to a new class action lawsuit.

Christopher Johnson and Nathaniel Claybrooks filed the lawsuit today in Tennessee federal court against the shows' producers -- claiming they both auditioned for "The Bachelor" in Nashville in August 2011 ... but were brazenly denied based solely on the color of their skin.

0417_nathan_chris_bachelor
Christopher and Nathaniel claim producers were afraid to cast them for fear of alienating "the show's majority-white viewership."

As a result, the guys claim producers are teaching the public how to be racist -- by demonstrating preferences for white relationships over non-white and interracial relationships.

They might have a point too ... because the show has never once cast a person of color -- black, Asian, Latino, whatever -- in the central role as Bachelor or Bachelorette.

"Bachelor" creator Michael Fleiss has even acknowledged the problem -- stating long before the lawsuit was filed ... "We always want to cast for ethnic diversity. It's just that for whatever reason, they don't come forward. I wish they would."

Chris and Nathaniel are now demanding a change in "Bachelor" policy -- requiring producers to "consider persons of color as finalists for the role of the Bachelor and the Bachelorette."

Oh yeah, they also want money -- an unspecified amount of punitive damages.

quezcotl

He is jewish.
I've nothing against jews, but he isnt "white" or else arabs are white also...

JoAnn

you want the dirt on this show and the real reasons for discrimination talk to Reality Steve he knows all

yessir

They're not cute. That's probably why they weren't selected.

ForReal

Come on, look at them! It's not about being black, it's about being FUGLY. Body types are nasty, one's goofy looking the other is built like a bull, who cares about skin color, bodies are nasty ugly.

hotbitch

Hey TMZ----you can stop calling black people African Americans now. It's insulting. I'm no less American than anyone else born in this country.

justin hundley

I am going to join this lawsuit. I am ginger and they would not let me either

Hipster

too many whites are naive enough to claim that racism doesn't exist while spouting racist drivel.

TMZgossip

one can only hope that this lawsuit is enough to get ABC to cancel these 2 lame-assed shows.

patty

10's of thousands of people come to casting calls - no one gets a letter saying no and why they are saying no - in any show - they give you a date, if no one calls you didn't get it - why do these guys deserve special treatment - cuz they really really wanted it!!!! this is crap!!!

Joi

I'm a Black woman and, although I suspect the Bachelor has a major problem with recruiting Black males (and should be sued), I think that in this case -- they just weren't handsome enough. My opinion. Give me a chance to get my shield before the bashing begins.

jeff

"We're gonna sue because they won't let us f ck their white women on the show". "Don't they realize we're entitled to f ck your white women because of racism".

Kiddo

As a Reality TV Casting Producer, these guys and their lawyers clearly have NO IDEA how the casting process works. At an Open Call, not everyone will get an interview with a Casting Producer (they only will if there was something in their App that Producers found interesting or eye-catching) and Open Call applicants never receive phone calls or emails saying they weren't selected (unless they made it thru to the next round). Maybe these guys just weren't interesting enough to warrant any further consideration?

Change 2010

What a shakedown.

foxypinkgirl

I'm a little tired of everyone bringing racism into things (especially when it's not the case), it's 2012 people...grow up! besides both shows are stupid anyways, why not come up with new shows?

Randall Goodson

I must say, and I'll admit.. I've only seen the show once or twice. You really don't see that many Afro Americans on the show. I'm not sure if it's the producers not wanting to display that form of inter racial dating. Or if it's the contestants basically saying, I'm open to dating anyone except Afro Americans.. Either way I think it's all trash TV and just choose not to watch. (I know I can't help it.. but please refrain from any racist comments.. I'd love to read different, intellectual points of views on the topic)