Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

Billy Joe

I remember Dick Clark from my childhood on American Bandstand. I always loved to watch American Bandstand, he was an icon. RIP Dick Clark and Thank-You for all the wonderful memories, job well done!

dierdre

R.I.P. my dear friend....a legend is gone....i remember American Bandstand as if it were yesterday....he seemed like a gentleman, and New Years Eve will never be the same without him....i always watched the game show Pyramid, and enjoyed his hosting on that show...we lost a great guy...

Mary

Good beat ... easy to dance to ... I give him a 100!!! I learned to dance from watching Bandstand, and couldn't wait to see which guest was performing. Many artists owe their careers to Mr. Clark (as well as the companies that make Clearasil and Stridex Pads). Thanks for all the wonderful memories - today is a sad day indeed. OK Barry Manilow ... hit it ... We're goin hoppin, We're goin happin today, Where things are poppin, The Philadelphia way, We're gonna drop in, On all the music they play, On the bandstand, BANDSTAND!

Gee

Todays medicine and hospitals kill people

Sheri

This is a very sad. Mr. Clark will be missed. I send my prayers out to his family and friends. He was a good man.

dierdre

jaydol

Wow, this news has taken the wind out of my sails for today.
It sounds like those damned Doctors brought it on with their simple out patient procedure. Goodbye Mr Clark and thank you for being the voice of Rock and Roll all these years. JD

EM

What a lovely man....but his heart...I can't give it a good score because it doesn't have a good beat.

Off to the great ball drop in the sky.

Ruth Schlotzhauer

Dick Clark was a true icon..He will be missed ...

Sylvia

A great American icon is gone. Many wonderful years of this hosting American Bandstand.

JGeorge

I have been watching Dick Clark since I was a kid. My Mom was watching him and I'm 58 now R.I.P. Mr. Clark We'll miss you

dierdre

David

I was watching a tv show about these twins who were idiot sevants. They are big Dick Clark fans. I wonder if they have found out about his death yet?

Skinbus

If you haven't seen Michael Moore's movie, "capitalism, a love story" you might find what the REAL Dick Clark was about. Moore wanted to interview him regarding his hiring practices & treatment of his employees & after 1 question, Clark told his driver to just drive away. He obviously didn't want to answer some possibly embarrassing questions which might destroy his "mr. nice guy" facade & have his loving following see him for what he was. If you doubt my words, see the movie & judge for yourself. Frankly, I was shocked as you might possibly be, to see an American icon behave in this fashion. What an a**hole! Good riddance!

Jay S

Another part of our Baby Boomer past is gone. RIP Dick. May you host a dance show in Heaven.