Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

Tani

Rest in Peace, Mr. Clark.

Venessa

May you Rest in Peace and may the Lord give your family strength in this time of their loss. You will alwayz be remembered.

kelly

I actually met Dick at American Band Stand in Miami almost 20 years ago as a teen and had my picture taken with him! There was a line of people as he sat at the bar and he happily greeted everyone and posed for pics and gave autographs. New Years won't be the same! RIP Mr. Clark!!

Laurie Smith

I will always remember Dick Clark from watching Band Stand and thinking, wow he is so cool and I loved the sound of his voice. I learned how to dance watching his show. He is in a better place and surely he is dancing with all his fans that went before him.....God Bless you Dick!

the real diva

so sad. he will always be known as america's oldest teenager. he always look great. may he rest in peace.

Mrsvigil1488

Sad sad day! New years will not be the same but he will always be remembered

LaKeisha Jackson

Rest in Peace, Dick Clark. You were a legend.
In celebration of his life, everybody feel free to go beat the **** out of Ryan Seacrest.

Jeff

here more info ... sad

Amy

I am so saddened that we lost a great icon today. Dick Clark was 82 years old. It will be so strange to no longer have him on television on New Years Eve. He will be missed. RIP Dick Clark and thank you for all the years that you entertained us ♥

Amy

It's very disturbing to me that some of you feel the absolute need to say totally unneccesay things. Everyone doesn't love everyone, but I know that if you try hard enough, you could be respectful. If you are incapable of that, don't comment here because no one here wants to see your negativity. I am so glad that those who have passed on don't have to see just how disturbed people can be.

himminy

i hate to talk negative about a legend but when i saw dick this most recent NYE i said to my friends "dude already looks dead. looks like he died and the special effects crew just stuffed his body and wired him up to be a remote controlled robot."

Ashley

Although he was 82, it's still such a shock. I miss him already! He was such an influence on so many people on an international scale, what an incredible loss. I'll always love you Dick, RIP.

Scott

Americas lost a true legend that will be missed very very much

Barbara Disotell

I WILL MISS DICK CLARK ,I WATCHED AMERICAN BANDSTAND & NEW YEARS ROCKIN EVE .REST IN PEACE DICK.

Betty S.

I am really sadden by the death of Dick Clark, I loved watching American Band Stand , and I always loved to watch the ball drop on New Years with him, It will never be the same. Rest in Peace Dick Clark, YOU WILL BE MISSED