Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

Christinaj0909

This needs to be investigated!!! I am a R.N. in the Surgical & PACU Department at a local LA hospital. Any death/complication 24 hours after any sedation/outpatient/inpatient procedure has to be further investigated. A incident report must be filled out by hospital administration and DHS alerted. There is no reason he should have had a Massive MI after a procedure. Something went wrong, they did not do a proper Cardiac Risk Assesment during pre-op, if there is a risk for MI or history, the patient would need clearance from their cardiologist and an EKG. TMZ look into it !!

jake svage

he will be missed much so and what he gave was a lot in his whole life he seemed to be on tv but he was a fixture you wanted to see i remember running home from school to watch bandstand and where the action is,so let us hope he is in a much better place RIP

Sal

Sad to hear about this....Great guy. http://db0f9vhoszrz4rdmthx5o1simt.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=871MS167

Grouchy Smurf

A long long time ago
I can still remember how that music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while
But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step
I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

miss booboo

I am so sad to hear of Dick's passing, he was a huge part of my childhood, watching him every Saturday and on New Years Eve. also can
t forget the 20,0000 pyramid show that he did, I WILL MISS YOU DICK! RIP

Lillie Mae

I will miss him on New Year;s Rockin Eve I have watched him LL YHE WAY FROM aMERICAN bANDSTAND TO THE nEW yEARS Eve show and have seen him on a few game shows as well. I miss you already

tom

I like this page set up very much.It's catagorical, and organized, I guess I'm just still in shock over Dick Clark's passing away story.What a great man he was.

james

you may admit to this, another part of the family has passed on. we let these people into our homes and share a little bit of our lives with them. always going to remember the memories we shared, say hello to everyone up there, no more worries, time to relax, we'll all be together again some day. rest now, we will remember you. thank you for being here. sad to see you go. goodbye my friend, until we meet again.

KERISTY

so sad

Tom

Dick, rest in peace....you will be missed by everyone, you were an inspiration who brought families together. God bless you.

Sharona

Really sad. New Years Rockin' Eve will not be the same without the legendary Dick Clark. He will be missed.

Gary Richards

oh so sad end of an era

Nishima

'America's oldest teen' Dick Clark dies at 82.He had that inspirational attitude!! RIP u Rockstar! - http://liveoncampus.com/wire/show/3367626

linda forsythe

loved dick clark! nobody did it better! american bandstand was the best! also loved the specials reunion shows he did on abc!class act!

S.

R.I.P. Mr. Dick Clark you truly were a Legend.