Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

Jacqui

New Years Eve will NEVER, EVER be the same.....R.I.P. Mr. Clark!

schoen1

One of my girlfriends and I would come home from school, change clothes and then meet at her house to watch American Bandstand almost every weekday.

Terri

Had a good beat and was easy to dance to. I give it a 95. Those of you as old as I am will understand... RIP Mr. Clark.

mamajj

Aww very sad. R.I.P. Mr Clark

Carol Lane

Remember running home after school to watch American Bandstand. Those were the days........Dick Clark made them so very special and gave a "voice" to teens worldwide. So long!

Saints fan

RIP Dick Clark. You will be missed. Condolences to the family.

amylroberts17

Soooo very sad.... :-(

MP

Truly the end of an era. There were few American icons like Mr. Clark. Condolences to his family.

Arcadia Rink

Rock&Roll RIP Dick Clark

Esrar Kasemi

Rest in peace r.i.p.....Mr DICK CLARK...!!!!

Cathy

R.I.P, Prayer's go out to his family and Friends.

David

This is a sad day n I remember being on American Bandstand ...he and Kari were always so nice, patient, and treated us like we were their own kids. It was such a blast and now gone forever!! RIP

judi

Well that sucks!! Dick Clark was a Major ICON he WILL BE MISSED!! R I P !!

mystic

Rest in peace you let alot of good memories behind Thank you for them

terri

I cannot help but wonder if all the nasty remarks people make regarding a life lost by someone who is out of their class, shed tears when one of the drug and alcohol nut cases pass away. Huh? You are insulted by my terminology? Me too with yours. Tunnel vision people have no braod minds.