Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

Joan K

American Bandstand was one of my favorite shows, RIP Mr. Clark.

Steven Raub

All the way back to American Bandstand. It seems like the good ole days are gone. The younger generation will never know the freedoms we have enjoyed.
Mr, Clark. Looking forward to rocking out with you in Heaven.

Cathy

It seemed he never aged. Then after the stroke he seemed to go down hill but always tried to smile for everyone. A true gentlemen.

Steve

New Years eve will never be the same with out you. R.I.P.

LINDA

That is soooo sad, rest in peace Mr Clark. New Years Eve will never be the same. God Bless is family.

Carolyn

RIP Mr Clark, you provided so many years of greatness, CB

Salinpac

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Thank you Mr Clark, R.I.P.

Sheila Lundquist

Dick Clark has been a presence from my earliest memories of rock and roll and American Bandstand on our TVs in the 1950s. We have lost an icon.

sternnation.com

I bet it was todays boring Howard Stern show that killed him.

leah

I feel so bad. I grew upwith Dick Clark and American Bandstand everyday after school. Learned how to dance watching the show. He will be missed.

Aundrea-MT

So sad!! He was such a sweet face to see on tv....growing up watching American Bandstand and every year bringing it in with Dick Clark....so sad...may he rest in peace! Heartfelt thoughts to his family and friends...

Andrea

RIP You will be missed Thanks for All You did to make TV better!

angles

Dick Clark omg we will all miss him what a legand I am sure all baby bomers remember him .What a great man so well known and so truly known RIP.

Jackie 'D'

Condolences to Dick Clark's family and numerous fans.. He was "Old School" before it became a term..I grew up watching American Bandstand..He was a legend who will be missed..Rockin' New Years Eve will NEVER be the same..Thanks for the memories R.I.P <3 <3

beverly

I grew up watching "American Bandstand". He will be missed!!