Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

j

This is a shocker for me . I listen to the guy every Sunda on radio . When I was a kid it was the Lone Ranger . Then the hormones kicked in and it was Bandstand to hear the music and see all the pretty girls . Always loved this guy . Rest in Peace old friend

greg blass

I grew up listening to Dick Clark for starters on American Bandstand and the rest is history. Thank you Dick for all the fun and entertainment you provided for so many many years. Now you can entertain my mom and my wife who both are waiting for you. Our lost is their gain Thanks for the memories

Edward P. Shockley

R.I.P, Mr. Clark

adam

sorry about this man dick clark died. died is right word. dieS is wrong word. no need a letter S with a dieS.

Jerry Martin

As a television cameraman in the 1970's I worked with Dick on the Pyramid show. He was always a kind and gentle man who loved what he did, and he did so much. I will always remember him as the host of American Bandstand when I was a teen watching the show. Rest in peace my friend. You will be missed from this earth.

Itoldu

A television pioneer & true legend.
R.I.P Mr Clark,
Prayers to your family & friends.

linda

we will miss you.

JAS OTESN

ANOTHER OLD SCHOOL HAS MOVE ON TO THE ROCK AND ROLL SHOW UP STAIRS. HE WILL BE MISS.GOD BLESS A GREAT ROCK AND ROLL MAN.

Darin

We will miis you.

Blood Red Witch

RIP Mr. Clark. Thank you for the music.

MrBB17

R.I.P. You gave us many years of music and fun. You will be missed.

Karin

My condolences to the Clark family.He will be dearly missed but not forgotten as we will remember him every year at New Years. Peace now be with you Dick Clark.

Ron

An americam icon, RIP Mr Clark, thank you for all the years.

Joe Poli

I remember meeting him around 1958 when my friend and I were able to get into his afternoon show in Philly. He had done the Cavacade of Stars show at a Pennylvania Amusement Park and we helped him with his personal stuff when he arrived at the venue. As a reward he invited us down to his show. He was a gracious nice man who had a lot of class. At the show my friend and I towered over the women and men who were regulars on the show(Me 6ft and my friend 6ft21n) The women were very pretty but most of them had tragic lives afterward.

pat

RIP.... What an awesome man !!!