Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

Jo

Another legend has left us. Dick Clark has gone through so much since his stroke several years back and came back as best he could.. Sad. He will now celebrate New Years Eve in the heavens above. Rest in peace Dick.

dskowulf

I can't even spell his first name cuz tmz thinks its profanity haha watch RIP dick Clark

Cathy

He seemed to never age. Then when he had his stroke he seemed to go downhill. But he always had a smile on his face. He was a true gentlemen.

cjs

Bandstand... gee was it really that long ago? Saw an old Pyramid game on the game show network the other night they ran four or so in a row. A Fun evening even though I had to really use my memory for some clues. He made TV FUN, not trashy as it is today.

What a nice guy. Sad for his children and wife.

jean kaltenbach

u will be missed by all that grew up with u and america bandstand. R.I.P Mr Dick Clark.

Sage

He was always such a gentleman. He didn't involve himself in all that Hollyweird stuff.

billyjoe

Wow. Im feeling the generation gap. "American Bandstand" wasn't mentioned in TMZ's obit.

OregonLady

So sad. I know it sounds silly but I just don't think of the "world oldest teenager" ever dying. So many of the people I admired on TV are dying: Don Cornelius, Whitney Houston, Davy Jones and now Dick Clark. Memory eternal to all of them. They and their families will be in my thoughts and prayers.

belle

RIP Mr. Clark.

American Bandstand was the original reality TV - and far more real than today's crop. Since everyone wanted to be on the show, does it now qualify as "Dancing with the Stars"?

Fred

RIP

Chia

RIP Dick.

Condolences to your family.

melissa

The WRONG "America's favorite teenager" just died : (

Anna Holton

So sorry to hear about Dick Clark's passing..... My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends... He will be sadly missed :(

Betz

My heart is sad. Oh, so many memories. Thank you Dick Clark, from a Philly girl who danced every day after school.

rollo

Wow, I grew up with Dick Clark in the mid 60's as he hosted the popular ABC afternoon show that all of us kids loved "Where the Action Is" Mr. Clark you made growing up in the 60's fun!
Thank you, and Rest In Peace!