Mel Gibson

May Sue Joe Eszterhas

For Releasing Audio of Epic Rant

4/19/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0418_mel_Large-Audio-Launch_V6
Mel Gibson
is seriously considering suing Joe Eszterhas for secretly recording him at his home in Costa Rica last December, and then releasing the audio rant.

Sources connected with Mel tell TMZ ... the actor believes he has a "basic human right" NOT to be secretly recorded in his own home.

We're told Mel's people are looking at the laws of Costa Rica to determine if recording laws were violated and, even if they weren't, if Mel's right of privacy was violated by the release of the audio.

Mel explodes in the recording about Eszterhas' lack of progress with "The Maccabees" script  -- "What the f**k have you been doing!!" He also unloads on Oksana Grigorieva, calling her a ""F**king c**t, c**ksucking whore."

We're told Mel believes anyone recorded "at their worst moment" would sound awful, and it's unfair to trap people in their refuge.

One Mel source notes with skepticism that Eszterhas has made other allegations against Mel ... that the actor also ranted against the Jews and expressed pleasure that John Lennon was shot and killed ... but none of that is on the tape.

bahhh

I do think Mel is a good person, but he obviously has issues..

Instead of suing people and ranting and spewing curse words he should get some help.

Does he really think the position he is in, people are no going to try and expose him...?

He is already made vulnerable and seen as a bad guy by some people, so he needs to settle down already.

Spewing an ranting and raving only adds fuel to the fire for some people.

Calm down, Mel, and get some therapy!!!

fuddyduddy

2idiots -- I just wanted to say 'hello' to you. I know we're on opposite sides of this latest issue, but that's okay. I've dealt with some 'hot heads' in my life, and I think that's what Mel is...just a 'hot head.' The hot heads in my life were pretty good people, one of them being my former husband, who has since passed on, and whom I still miss very much to this day.

A viewer

First of all, why would any sane individual stick around when another one is completely insane? The moment he started his screaming, i would have split, not stayed and taped the craziness. Second, I like Mel's work, but he really needs some mental help. Also, the screaming and stress it causes could give him a heart attack or stroke, especially at his age. He should learn some relaxation techniques and quit drinking.

2idiots

Come to think of it, it would be rather funny to see Mel in court (AGAIN) facing those who witnessed his outburst. I'd LOVE to see him squirm when Fr. F-cko or Rabbi Clueless took the stand. Or his sister or brother-in-law had to testify.
Maybe some of Mel's staff should be called in a well. I'm sure over the years Mel and Robyn had a chef or housekeeper or Nanny who saw/heard things.
Maybe the DA should re-open the MG/OG "case" and do a little checking on the death threats made to OG. Threats like that can carry jail or prison time if convicted.

anon

The only thibg Mel did wrong was letting that dirtbag Eszterhas stay at his home. A home is a private refuge.I hope he sues Eszterhas into oblivion.

Margaret

Mel, you were completely shafted by this guy. You and Warner Bros. paid him to write a first draft of a film gave him plenty of time to do his work, and he show up empty handed with no reason why he took you money and did nothing. Oh, and by the way, he had a tape recorder there and made sure he spoke so low we can't hear anything that he is saying. Mel, you've done a lot of things wrong, and you've done a lot of things right. This time you are right. You are getting a bum wrap from a bum that took you money and did nothing. Hang in there Mel.

2idiots

Fuddy - hello to you too! Being a "hot head" is one thing but MG has shown a pattern of RAGE. If he doesn't get it under control he very well may do something he'll regret.
People can "lose themselves" in a fit of anger/rage and commit horrible acts on others.

Andi

There is absolutely no good reason for behaving that way. Dude, seek profesional help!

victory

This is not the rantings of a rational man, I wonder at the end of the day, if Mel will be diagnosed with some sort of dementia?

Seriously

If I were Oksana, I would be marching into family court with this tape. If he acts like this in front of others, imagine what terror he inflicts on his own family!

Rachel

Will people just leave Mel Gibson alone!?!! This man can't say, sh*t without someone trying to record him. He's entitled to say whatever the heck he wants to! We all say things in private that isn't meant to be heard by the public. Can you imagine how it must feel for someone to feel like they are not able to speak because they fear like they're being recorded!? It's his right to speak and let the man say whatever he wants to!

Ih8Taxes

Guess what, Mel can say whatever he wants in his own home whether it's good or bad. It's called FREEDOM. You sheeple should try it once in a while. I'm with you Mel.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Mel will definitely win especially if it was unknowingly recorded without his knowledge or consent in his own home.

Peggy

Mel has a bad habit of going off on these rants. I wouldn't be surprised to hear one day soon of him having a heart attack. He's a danger to himself and others and needs some serious help.

KebertXela

In most states this certainly would be illegal.

I am sure all the Mel Gibson critics have used harsh language in their own homes, maybe even ranted with some cuss words.

Shame on all of you for pretending each of you are without flaws. If you were recorded in your home during a moment of anger or during a fight with a friend or family member, I wonder what we would hear on those tapes?