Demi Lovato

Nightclub Promoters

Lured Me with Free Drugs

4/23/2012 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0423_demi_lavato_drug_use
Rehabbed Disney queen Demi Lovato says ... she was often seduced into going into fancy nightclubs and high profile restaurants because promoters gave her free drugs and booze.

Lovato finally opened up about her dangerous partying habits to U.K.'s "Fabulous" magazine ... strongly suggesting she was using drugs before entering rehab in 2010.

Lovato never admits to using a specific drug ... but when asked about the rumors of her cocaine use she replied, "I would come off stage in front of 18,000 people and suddenly be alone in a hotel room. I'd come crashing down and would try to find a way to recreate that feeling, to stay 'up'."

The 19-year-old also says it was easy to get her hands on illegal substances ... saying, "Promoters gave me drugs and alcohol in restaurants or clubs. They wanted me to come back so I would be seen there. They were basically kissing my ass."

"I thought they were my friends. I thought I was having fun."

Lovato completed treatment for bulimia, depression and self-mutilation in 2011 ... and says she now understands how lucky she is to have survived her darkest period.

"Being a celebrity can be dangerous. Nobody says 'no'. That's why so many end up overdosing and dying. It could definitely have happened to me."

srsly

Anyone who doesn't believe this is EXACTLY how it works hasn't spent much time in Hollywood - which isn't good nor bad. You gotta be stronger than it but man she's just a kid. Cut her some slack, she's not Lohan. Not into her bubblegum music but I ain't gonna hate on her for that.

mar

She has a lot of balls to say this- I commend her. She is not blaming anyone, she is just speaking the truth.

Meg

It appalls me reading through these comments. She never said it was anyone else's fault. She's just saying it's a lot easier to be an addict as a celebrity. Geez you people are all pathetic picking on a teenager who is just being honest about her choices. I'm 27 years old, not some tween demi lovato obsessor. She caught herself before she fell too far. good for her.

Meg

Congratulations to Demi for figuring out at 19 what most stars don't figure out until they are well until their 50s. I'm happy for her.

Truth

DUMB BITCH.. HOW ABOUT IF SHE SAYS "JUST SAY NO"! STOP BLAMING THE PROMOTERS AND RESTAURANT OWNERS. NO ONE FORCED TO DO THE DRUGS. DIDNT SHE LISTEN TO NANCY REAGAN BACK IN THE DAY??? OF COURSE F*CKING NOT! #TRUTH!!

moe

BOOOOOO F-ING HOOOOOO!
nobody made you do any of these things.

nuffsaid

Did they shove the cocaine up your nose and hold you at gunpoint to do the other drugs and drink?

These kids nowadays!

derwood

Her handlers have a part to play as well, dragging her in and out of rehab as they see fit (i.e. doing a gig or publicity stint) as well as parent who genuinely didn't give a damn about her, only to make sure the gravy train kept rolling.

bart

dummy lovato = spoiled little brat

Gary B

As Demi gets older, I think we will hear her come out more and more about her problems. She still has young fans and does not want to lose them by going into her more lurid details. As for the clubs and promoters, they need to be ratted out and lose their liquor licenses, get fined and face jail time for contributing to the deliquency of a minor. This is what KILLED River Phoenix, He OD's to death in the parking lot of a club that Johnny Depp owned.

USArmy

Complete moron. If you go into a bar, do you have to drink? Of course not! Blaming others for your mistakes seems to be in fashion these past couple of years. You see it from the President on down. No one takes personal responsibility for their actions anymore.

Jay W.

"They were basically kissing my ass."

Anybody tonguing it ?

L-LOFAN

Just leave Demi alone. She's just a little girl with no one to turn to. I wish I could be there for you Demi.

JR

Name names. Who's not to say the talent that's coming up behind you is being put in these same situations. Or do you not want to say anything because it might hurt your career?

dd

You are really immature did anyone teach you to say NO!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments