'Road Trip' Star's Widower

Birth Control Pills Killed Her

... and I'm Suing

4/27/2012 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0427_mia_amber_davis_roadtrip
"Road Trip" star Mia Amber Davis -- who famously played the big girl -- was TOO OBESE to have been on birth control pills and died as a result ... this according to her widower, who's suing Mia's doctors.

Mia passed away back in May 2011 as a result of a pulmonary embolism ... one day after undergoing knee surgery.

But in his lawsuit, Mia's widower claims ... in the months before the surgery, Mia's OBGYN prescribed her birth control pills such as Balziva and Zenchent ... "drugs that greatly increase one's risk for a pulmonary embolism, especially when combined with [Mia's] other risk factors."

Mia's widower lists "obesity" as one of Mia's significant risk factors.

Mia's widower claims his wife's doctor SHOULD HAVE suggested condoms or other methods of birth control as an alternative ... because the drugs "greatly increased her risk for a pulmonary embolism and ultimately caused her death."

To make matters worse, Mia's widower claims Mia went to a family practitioner on April 18 to complain about knee pain. The doc allegedly cleared Mia for knee surgery ... despite a number of risk factors, including obesity, hyperlipidemia and the fact she was on Zenchent.

Mia's widower claims the doc "should have advised [Mia] to eliminate some of her other risk factors prior to clearing her for the surgery."

Mia underwent the surgery on May 9 ... and died the next day.

Mia's widower is suing both the OBGYN and the family practitioner for unspecified damages ... claiming, among other things, he should be compensated for the loss of love, companionship and moral support he suffered as a result of his wife's death.

Kiera

What ignorance you morons display by calling her a fat pig & citing that as her cause of death. Pulmonary Emboli (blood clots in your lungs) can happen to anyone, thin or fat. How do I know, I nearly died in 1999 (waiting for all the ingenious comments to that) because of them in my lungs from yes, BC. But guess what, smartallecks I wasn't on BC for doin the horizontal polka. It was at the time for hormone regulation and not a word of warning about their possible side effects was given. Educate yourself and read up before commenting on a topic you are obviously ignorant about!

chrissy

He can not sue her obgyn. It is a well known fact that birth control can be dangerous and yes obesity does increase the risk for things to happen. I am a nurse and also have been using birth control for years, when you get the shot or the pill it comes with a paper every time explaining the risk and when you get the ring the doctor gives you a paper that explains the risk. Heck every time I watch tv they have a commercial about the risk of birth control.

If it was not listed that pulmonary embolism was a risk factor then he would have a case but seeing as it was listed there is no case and he can not sue. She took the birth control knowing the risk

When it comes to the family practitioner if he examined her before the surgery and found nothing wrong then he can not be sued either. When it comes to surgery birth control usually does not have any effect

Jaclyn

You people are disgusting for making fun of a dead woman. Karma's a b*tch, just remember that.

Mommy

Not all people who are at risk for blood clots are obese. It has to do with your blood which may have a higher risk of a clotting factor. Unfortunately, not many people know that they are at risk for clotting until after having a clot. I am not obese and am not allowed to go on birth control pill as per my doctors. We only found out because of genetic testing for repeated miscarriages.

873897

I find most of the comments here to be rather disturbing. Everyone is saying that he or his wife should have known, read the fine print, etc. Well, I don't know about you guys but if a doctor said that it's OK for me to take a certain thing, I'd take his/her advice because he/she is more knowledgable about these things than I am. I was prescribed a certain type of medication before and my doctor checked my blood sugar on a monthly basis. That's what doctors are supposed to do. It may not seem wise to some but a lot of people take their doctor's word.
Also: how can everyone be certain that the doctor warned her about the effects of the pills anyway? I understand that in order to have the surgery she most likely signed the waiver, but I think this guy has a good shot of winning the case against the OBGYN.

Rich

One question, did she inform the ortho as to the meds she was taking. Often patients limit the information give to a physician. Fact obesity should NOT limit such as a procedure. I am afraid the entire medical history was not known. Just saying!!!!

janita

it is sad she passed away. but it wasn't the doctors fault for one she was obesity plus hyperlipidemia. she had lost some weight obesity is not good for the heart.

KicksandGiggles

People have a SELF RESPONSIBILTY for their own personal health. Statistically, bc pills are generally safe but there are risks obviously - this is COMMON KNOWLEDGE. It was HER RESPONSIBILITY to PARTNER WITH HER DR and actively participate in her own health care. I read up on meds, ask questions, etc. She had the choice for another bc method. Sorry she died but this man needs to tell the greedy lawyers No, accept her failure in her own care, and privately grieve.

Madeline Jones

We just spoke to Mia's husband and he said none of this came from him! Check your sources! http://www.plus-model-mag.com/2012/04/plus-size-model-mia-amber-davis-widower-responds-to-tmz-reports-of-wrongful-death-suit/

en Todo Momento!!

gah. i can smell it from here already -the medical field defense attorney infantry is gonna rip the raw flesh off of this one. shouldn't we all thank harvard et al for their exquisite and professional l'egal training?.... yikes.

en Todo Momento!!

like as if it's UNCLEAR!! THAT SHE DIED!! AFTER HER SURGERY! yah, it's her fault. because she was FAT! and should have KNOWN! THE PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE OF A DOCTOR, THAT THIS SURGERY WAS GOING TO KILL HER.. well then what do we pay all these folks millions of dollars to learn all this stuff??????!

Rob

They will not get anything, the same thing happened to my wife and the only reaon she didn't die is bc she is a trauma nurse (RN) and she felt a pain and hooked herslf up to a EKG mechine and showed it to a doc,on staff and he took her straight into surg. With the TORT Law the most the Doc has to pay out is 200k and after all the people that help you get that money get payed we would have got 47K and that would have taken about two yrs to get . Good luck I wish you the best.

Fat Mike

He won't win that one. Same thing happened to my 34yo male friend who was in tip top shape, and obviously not on birth control pills. He died 3 days after his knee surgery

bunny

Being obese and going into any surgery has a high risk. That's why they give you a form to sign your life away.

Melanie

The doctor screwed up. But suggesting condoms? He should not have given her that type of birth control.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments