'Hunger Games' Star

Tricks Grocery Store

Into Selling Him Whiskey

4/28/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Josh Hutcherson took a not-so-cheap shot at a Ralphs Grocery store
19-year-old "Hunger Games" star Josh Hutcherson took a not-so-cheap shot at a Ralph's Grocery store -- he posed as over 21 and got the check out clerk to sell him an expensive bottle of whiskey.

We got this pic of Josh leaving the Ralph's in Sherman Oaks on April 18 with a bottle of Macallan whisky in hand -- which, by the way, goes for $170.

A source tells TMZ ... Josh used a fake ID to score the bottle.

It's interesting ... a few weeks ago we got Josh on camera, grousing, "I think the age to go to war is 18 ... so I think the drinking age should be 18 as well."

A spokesperson for Ralphs tells TMZ, "We strictly enforce all laws relating to the sale of alcohol to minors.  We will investigate these allegations and take any steps necessary."

Josh could be prosecuted and the maximum punishment is 6 months in jail, although in reality he'd spend no time behind bars.  Authorities could also go after Ralph's for selling to a minor.

We reached out to Josh's rep.  So far, no comment.

Wade

Josh is such a terrible person for doing what 90% of Americans his age do.

Not.

wally

not only does josh looks like he has downs syndrum he is an @sshole to.

wally

he should go to jail for using a fake ID and see what real people do to fake actors- jail for him and he got caught

Mumra the Ever Living

Great. Through some quirk of fate, we will now have to put up with this little twerp for years and years until this pre-pubescent movie and it's sequels run their course.

stupidcontteen

What a douchebag. "I think the age to go to war is 18 ... so I think the drinking age should be 18 as well."

But you will NEVER go to war, would you?

leann

y would he do that?? :'(

Billy Bob

His "old enough to go to war" comment only flies if his little punk arse enlists and goes to war. If he enlists and goes to war then by all means he should be allowed to buy alcohol. Otherwise, his argument is invalid. If he has a military ID card, THEN he should be able to buy what he wants.

Christine

Wow. What the ****. They just printed a story that happens everywhere in america every day. i dont give a crap that some underage kid was drinking or bought a drink because it happens ****ing everywhere

Christine

Male lindsay lohan on our hands much? i wish he wouldnt do the hunger games movies. no franchise should have that on their hands and he wasnt even that good at Peeta, so id just replace him!

Ena

What is interesting is that there really is no confirmation that what is in the blue box is in fact a bottle of alcohol and not a bottle of water. For all we know he could have been doing it to make a point... Not really sure WHY he would do that but until there is investigation there are no facts. If it is true it just seems so out there that Josh(who has played publicity very smart)wouldn't be trying to cover it up. Something is just not right about it.

Vanessa

It is absolutely laughable for people to think there's a significant difference in maturity between an 18 year old and a 21 yr-old. Based on the amount of immature, irresponsible, binge-drinker 21-yr olds I've seen, I'd say maturity levels are pretty much the same.

Anyway, I've used a fake ID before. These people know what a fake ID looks like. The store is at fault, here. It is their responsibility to monitor those things. It could've been him or any other kid under 21, and the store would still be at fault. Josh shouldn't be buying alcohol and much less carrying it around like a trophy (pretty dumb), but he did what millions of teens do. Try to score some alcohol with a fake ID. It is up to the establishments to make sure they don't get awat with it.

athompso91

hahahahah these comments are hilarious! I just turned 21 and I have been drinking since I was 17. Its not that serious because here's what I don't do- I never drink and drive and I never get so drunk that I forget what happened last night. So he bought some alcohol illegally it's like speeding not that serious as long as nobody gets hurt and you're in control. The worker will be fine and I'm sure he'll get his slap on the wrist.

dave

TMZ Narcs! Why don't you go tell his Mom too.

zachary

bunch of *******s work at TMZ for posting this, ****in with his dougie mannn

Mac

he is 21 years old Duh!!!