'Hunger Games' Star

Tricks Grocery Store

Into Selling Him Whiskey

4/28/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Josh Hutcherson took a not-so-cheap shot at a Ralphs Grocery store
19-year-old "Hunger Games" star Josh Hutcherson took a not-so-cheap shot at a Ralph's Grocery store -- he posed as over 21 and got the check out clerk to sell him an expensive bottle of whiskey.

We got this pic of Josh leaving the Ralph's in Sherman Oaks on April 18 with a bottle of Macallan whisky in hand -- which, by the way, goes for $170.

A source tells TMZ ... Josh used a fake ID to score the bottle.

It's interesting ... a few weeks ago we got Josh on camera, grousing, "I think the age to go to war is 18 ... so I think the drinking age should be 18 as well."

A spokesperson for Ralphs tells TMZ, "We strictly enforce all laws relating to the sale of alcohol to minors.  We will investigate these allegations and take any steps necessary."

Josh could be prosecuted and the maximum punishment is 6 months in jail, although in reality he'd spend no time behind bars.  Authorities could also go after Ralph's for selling to a minor.

We reached out to Josh's rep.  So far, no comment.

BB in CA

This makes me sick; how pathetic of TMZ to hang out at the grocery store & then get someone in trouble. Josh is right about the minimum age being too low.

JDoors

Hutcherson: Future celebrity mess.

Keep us posted TMZ.

VictoriaGirl

The cashier will lose their job and nothing at all will happen to him now that he's a celebrity. Nice.

Greggggg

Seriously, how can he say the age of war is 18 so the drinking age should be 18. I served 8 years, 4 active 4 reserve, and I was 18 when I entered. If you are in the military, and 18 you can drink, but just because you are 18 and other people who are 18 risk their lives, for your freedom doesnt mean you should be able to have a drink. Grow a pair ya ****, and join the military if you want a drink, but ill never buy you one in the bar just because you think you deserve one. Earn it Mother$*a

Robert

Dummy. The 18 argument is old and I hear it all of the time. At 18, how much training do you get in the military? A lot. At 18, how much are you taught about the use of alcohol? Zero. 18 year olds do not need to be able to buy alcohol. 21 should be the law acros the U.S. At 18 kids are texting and driving with absolutely no clue as to what could happen. You see it everyday. Throw in some alcohol and watch what happens.

Nasious Cordova

Obviously, with his money and fame, he did this more to prove a point than just to score some booze or impress the chicks as a lot of comments suggest. He's outspoken over changing the drinking age, so I'd sooner think that by doing this himself was his way of protesting.

Marco Polo

I like Josh but there is a reason why the age limit is 21. Supposedly you're more responsible at that age to handle alcohol consumption. Dude be drinking the *hard* stuff though. Kinda has me worried.

Britney

I was a huge JHutch fan, but somehow I knew that he would have a scandal exactly like this! I can tell you guys I'm no longer a fan because for his fans to defend his action and blaming TMZ is just wrong! It's all JHUTCH'S fault. If Josh hadn't been buying alcohol, while being underage, TMZ won't have this story to cover!!! I honestly feel bad for the cashier especially that fake ID's now-a-days are pretty much IDENTICAL to real ones! The cashier should totally not be penalized! JHutch should be a man and be responsible for his stupid actions!!!

Sierra

Really TMZ? You guys are douche*****. There was no need AT ALL to post this story. I only clicked on it because I honestly didn't believe that this was real! This is news!?!? GTFOH. Minors drink all the time. The fact that you chose to get Josh in trouble, and more importantly the store and the probable EX-employee who sold it to him, makes me physically ill. The ****ing media takes it too far. Stop ****ing with people's lives. This kid is doing great things with his acting and his activism. Just stop.

Crane

See, children.

This is what happens when you aren't environmentally friendly and forget to ask for a PAPER SACK.

I almost cited conceal-carry laws except that this wine already comes in a box.

For anybody that's worked in the lower customer service industry, there's a reasonable fear and understanding that the store clerk involved will most likely be subject to some form of discipline - yes, even with the fake ID.

The issue here, from corporate perspective, isn't just legality, it's that a lower cog in the machine was involved in public humiliation to the store brand at-large.

All of it escalated by the fact that Josh is a PUBLIC underage figure. If that happened at my checkout counter, I would've said: "Excuse me sir, while I verify this with the latest gossip magazine sitting in the rack at the end of my aisle."

But, it'd be unrealistic to expect everyone to know Josh's age.

And if that clerk is fired... well, I hope Josh's lawyers have a settlement prepared.

Bloomcounty.USA

Wow ... so you just got a checker at Ralph's fired over this by making it into a media issue, because I'm sure that's what the store meant when they said they'd "take any steps necessary" to resolve the matter. I mean, com'mon in this economy that isn't anything to be proud of ... it's not like this little drunk wasn't gonna find a way to get his drink on with or without the fake ID.

Bloomcounty.USA

People stop with the double, triple and quadruple posts!! Submit once, then go to the last page of the comments and refresh the page. It's annoying as hell to see the same comment posted over and over because some knucklehead can't figure out that it's already posted.

A pissed fan

wow, this is so ****ing unnecessary, people start drinking at 13 now, get the **** over it, he is 19 that is legal in like every other country except US, because they think that it is ok to kill before they can drink.

Kelsey

But please don't arrest Josh.
I want to see Catching Fire!

Kelsey

And the person working at the store will lose their job because of us..
Disappointed.