Mel Gibson to Jay Leno

'I've Got a Little Bit of a Temper'

4/28/2012 7:17 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0428_mel_gibson_videoMel Gibson spoke out last night for the first time about his epic, profanity-laden, secretly-recorded rant against writer Joe Eszterhas ... and he actually had a bit of a sense of humor about the whole thing.

Gibson explained to Jay Leno on "The Tonight Show" ... that Eszterhas turned in a script for "The Maccabees" to Warner Bros. that was rejected and so Gibson felt his actions were "justified."

As for the 9-page letter Eszterhas wrote to Gibson, Mel joked, "If he put half as much time and effort and creativity and imagination into a screenplay, which he was supposed to write, as he did into that letter ... we wouldn't be having this conversation."

Finally, talking about the infamous tape, Mel joked, "Maybe you don't know this about me, but I've got a little bit of a temper."

Yes, Mel ... we know.

0418_mel_Large-Audio-Launch_V6

Tessa

Dang, the guy is charming...he could talk birds out of trees...bit of a temper...don't all hollywood-types have tempers when money is being wasted? Too bad all the "artists" have to be so co-dependent on studios, writers, etc. etc. to get any projects done. And with Mel's reputation, it's probably zillions of times harder, with more baby-sitter types being hired...instead of talents.

canook

did you all noticed?
Leno did not buy that Eszterhas's son
15 years (should be 16!) years old taped it....

how strange that Eszterhas claimed wrong age 15 years
( should be 16!born) for his own son in his 9 pages long letter

RedwoodPerch

At least Mel isn't swinging golf clubs at other peoples cars.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Mel... I need you to make me a message for my answering machine. Seriously.

Mary

Mel hasn't done anything that 99% of the rest of the world hasn't done, which is lose his temper, scream and cuss, and say some things in poor taste. He's human, as are we. Something about those without sin casting the first stone comes to mind....

sketchgirl

Its more like a personality problem in need professional supervision, Mel

jayjay

Mel is awesome! He looks really handsome! I hope the Viking movie is a HUGE success! I look foward to seeing Get the Gringo too. He is one of the most talented actors and directors ever!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope he has already found someone to love him the way he should be loved.

cass

Mel Gibson is awesome!

That other wittle guy is awe angwy becawse Mel said his script was trash. awwwee poor wittle baby! LOL

LittleBIt

Way to go Mel!!! We are who we are and nobody is perfect. I have a pretty bad temper too but I'm not famous and nobody records me when I'm at my worst. No big deal. You are ok in my book honey! Stay strong my friend. We love U.

Superman

Mel is an ass!

Ann

It's not hard to imagine what his wife and kids went through.

Kelly

Mel Gibson has a little bit of a temper... and Nadya Suleman behaves somewhat oddly.

Jody

No Mel, if you would go get some serious help for your drinking and anger problems, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Alice

While Mel was very well coached he does not come across as a nice guy in any way.

Kari

Nothing cute or funny about this type of abusive behavior. His career is done.