Mel Gibson to Jay Leno

'I've Got a Little Bit of a Temper'

4/28/2012 7:17 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0428_mel_gibson_videoMel Gibson spoke out last night for the first time about his epic, profanity-laden, secretly-recorded rant against writer Joe Eszterhas ... and he actually had a bit of a sense of humor about the whole thing.

Gibson explained to Jay Leno on "The Tonight Show" ... that Eszterhas turned in a script for "The Maccabees" to Warner Bros. that was rejected and so Gibson felt his actions were "justified."

As for the 9-page letter Eszterhas wrote to Gibson, Mel joked, "If he put half as much time and effort and creativity and imagination into a screenplay, which he was supposed to write, as he did into that letter ... we wouldn't be having this conversation."

Finally, talking about the infamous tape, Mel joked, "Maybe you don't know this about me, but I've got a little bit of a temper."

Yes, Mel ... we know.

0418_mel_Large-Audio-Launch_V6

Sugar Kitty

I love Mel. The interview was good, funny and want to see more movies starring him.

dave

Mel's a christian phony, like so many of them-has no idea that Jesus was a Jew and Mel hates Jews. WTF?

Tellthetruth59

Just watched Mel's interview w/Leno and thought it went well and that Leno seemed sympathetic. Sane people support Gibson's right to privacy and to say what he wants in the privacy of his home without fear of being recorded and crucified by the PC police. Extradouche was trying to shake him down, just as many here suspected. Get the Gringo getting good reviews. I'm eager to see it.

Paulette

lol -- Oh! -- I got to see the whole interview! lol

fran

I have a feeling someone is clicking more than once on the votes so they are not in favor of Mel...this is so unusual as Most people think its outrageous the way Mel is being persecuted in Hollywood. oh and yes if anyone is aware of the Jews running Hollywood , it would be Mel..in answer to one persons question. Go Mel..make that Viking movie..

billybob

Mel has got a little bit of a this and that. He has got that little anti-Semite, that little wife-batterer and that little nut inside. All together, Mel is just a little a-hole....

Sunset

Mel is a disgusting sleazeball. How dare he justify ranting like that especially in front of a 15 year old who is the one who taped him and threatening to kill the mother of his child calling her mysogynistic names! His daughter will find out he said those things about her mom one day and hate him! Go away Mel.

Sunset

Of course Jay not bother to ask Mel about threatening the mother of his child and calling her horrible names in front of a 15 year old no less. I wonder if he would have tired to joke about that too! None of it is funny. He needs help.

Wellington

Although I don't like Mel's ethnic slurs, you do have to wonder what's up with Eszterhas and son recording Mel in his own home while Mel chews him out for doing zero work after 18 months on a screenplay Eszterhas had already got paid for. Was he planning on blackmailing Mel? If I paid a contractor to do a job for me and 18 months later he had done nada, I'd be screaming too.

Rhonda C. Poynter

I agree with the comments stating humor doesn't take away from what we've witnessed with Mel...it's difficult for me to say that, too, because I used to adore him. Genius, great actor. But the kind of abuse that he heaps on people, and then tries to brush away with the naughty boy syndrome, isn't cool - I would still come back over to Mel's side if I saw him doing something like a PSA for women's abuse victims, etc. It must be awful to be so miserable, BTW.

Vernon P. Alarcon

HAVE YOU NEVER BEEN MEL........Oh
There was a time when I was in a hurry as you are
I was like you
There was a day when I just had to tell my point of view
I was like you
Now I don't mean to make you frown
No, I just want you to slow down

Have you never been mellow?
Have you never tried to find a comfort from inside you?
Have you never been happy just to hear your song?
Have you never let someone else be strong?

Running around as you do with your head up in the clouds
I was like you
Never had time to lay back, kick your shoes off, close your eyes
I was like you
Now you're not hard to understand
You need someone to take your hand

Have you never been mellow?
Have you never tried to find a comfort from inside you?
Have you never been happy just to hear your song?
Have you never let someone else be strong?

Debbie

You Go Mel I'd be pissed off to If I payed for a script and nothing was done either.
And as for his 9 page letter well hello as people would say the light is on and nobodys at home
This guy is a freeloader,And as for taping you in the privacy of your home what an ******* It's obvious he was after more $$$ .

I would love to have some one catch Harvey when he was not expecting to be recorded and release I wonder How he would feel

Debbie

maya

I was just thinking about the headline the day after Jesus over-turned the stalls in the temple.

Maya 28

Victoria

I love Mel ...and Joe should have never taped him! Joe will use the tapes to write another book no one will read telling dirty tales about Mel for money.

Let's hope Mel has a few things on Joe. I bet he does!

Fidel's niece

So many people "outraged" about Mr.Mel's
persecution...yet NOT MANY of them bought
the tickets to see his last 2 movies,
or to sign up for VOD to see The Gringo...
Mel's defenders are CHEAP BASTARDS...
Defend your idol but don't spend the money
seeing his movies then blame it on
The Jewish Conspiracy...LOL!
Mel's defenders are
ALL TALK AND NO ACTION...
JUST LIKE THEIR IDOL "Mr. Mel"
Looks like a man,
acts like a sissy...
(my B movie career, how did I get here?)
BOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Mr Mel told Leno that he COOKS!
He can get a cooking show on cable...
titled
"MY LIFE AS A RECIPE FOR A DISASTER"
***