Patrick Dempsey's Heroic Rescue

CAR CRASH CARNAGE

4/28/2012 9:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Patrick Dempsey Car Crash rescue photos
"Grey's Anatomy" star Patrick Dempsey's rescue mission in Malibu this week was even more badass than we thought -- just take a look at the scene of the accident!!!

TMZ broke the story ... a teenage driver crashed and flipped his Mustang on the road right outside Dempsey's Malibu home -- and the actor came to the rescue, crowbar in hand to pry the doors open.

Dempsey successfully pulled the driver from the wreckage -- a 17-year-old named Weston Massett -- who tells TMZ, when he opened his eyes, the actor was looking right down at him.

Massett asked, "Are you famous?" ... and Patrick coolly replied, "I'm a doctor."

We're told Patrick called Massett's mother and told her about the accident -- keeping her calm the entire time. Massett was then airlifted to a nearby hospital, and Patrick followed to make sure the kid was okay.

0427_patrick_dempsey_car_crash_photos_hospital
Miraculously, Massett suffered no serious injuries -- just a concussion and a "stretched" optic nerve. He's expected to make a full recovery.

There was also a passenger in the car, Dylan Miller, but thankfully we're told Miller suffered no injuries whatsoever.

Wear your seat belts, kids.

erin

I think I've loved this guy since I watched Loverboy. This man can do no wrong in my eyes!!

ray

DEMPSEY is an IDIOT. You DO NOT remove an injured person from a wreck unless other danger (fire) exists. dumba$$ could have killed the guy.

wasabee

so he had to ice his cake and take a pic of the kid in the hospital and say "hey look everybody here's the kid i saved, Im such a hero let me send this to TMZ so i can be recognized". If i was that kid and had the strength, I'd thank him for his help then slap the **** out of him for trying to boast about and send it to national news media.

Mary

When I heard that Patrick Dempsey pulled him from the car, I was impressed. Now reading that he called the kid's mother and followed him to the hospital, I'm even more impressed. We can use more good news like that.

dwforever

I honestly don't get why everyone is so negative. Yes, in general its best to not move them. However, Patrick is a race car driver. I'm sure he's aware of the dangers in crashes, he has to deal with them all the time, he's even gotten in a few of his own. Back injuries and neck injuries are very common in race crashes and the driver has to asses that before getting out of the car, so I'm sure before he did anything, he thought of that. From what I understand, the boy was conscious and aware and moving around. He's not an idiot. And while everyone is giving credit to his time on Grey's, I'm sure that some of his race experience and what questions drivers are asked before getting out of the car played into it.

I'm personally entirely impressed with what he did. Not everyone does something.

Carl

I flipped my car on the highway at 65mph a year ago and ended up upside down just like that. Heck of an experience, but surprisingly survivable. I got out by myself and didn't have any major injuries. The worst was a bruised or torn muscle in my shoulder that took a month to fully heal. The kid is definitely lucky he wasn't hurt worse, but it is not a shock that he got away as easy as he did.

Rachel

how lame that he said he's a doctor. he makes pretend that he's a doctor. he should never say that out of context of make pretend. it's not cute or funny or appropriate. lame lame lame. he must be feeling inadequate about only being good enough to make pretend being one, or he wouldn't have said that, or he's just really starting to think that what he does on set is what it's really like being a doctor & he might actually think he is one now? i'm sure he quickly stepped aside when the real professionals showed up, as he should have.
and never move someone injured like that.
not only is he lame, but he's an idiot. nice that he got off his sofa to go check and see what went boom outside, but he shouldn't have moved anyone or said he was a doctor.

kim

YOU GO PATRICK DAMN YOU ARE SMOKIN HOT... PS I NEED A RD TOO, A CUTE SEXY BABE LIKE YOU TO RESCUE ME.... WEEEEWWW IS IT HOT IN HERE OR IS IT JUST ME???

Bill Comment

To the Patrick detractors who would have left the kids in the car. The Dempseys live at the top of the foothills above Point Dume. It would probably take EMT 15 to 20 minutes minimum to arrive on the crash sight. To be upside down in a wrecked for that long could cause injuries or even death. If the car were to catch on fire then it would be to late to remove occupants. There is a curve in the road and the crash sight is over 100 ft beyond the curve. I go around the curve at about 30 MPH. The kid must of been hauling ass and hit with a big bang as Patricks house is set back from the road about 200 ft. and you can't see his house from the road. I'm sure the kids & his parents feel he made the right call.

Tesla_Consulting

Who said you Yankees weren't tough?

campy

I'm pretty sure that the kid can sue Patrick Dempsey for falsely representing himself. He's no doctor.

Anonymous

He races cars and has been around crashes for years now. I'm sure he knows what the issues are when it comes to getting out of the car or waiting. It looks like there was some liquid in a a puddle behind the car. Maybe there was a gas leak. I don't know but I have complete faith that he did what he thought he had to do to get the occupants out of trouble. He is one of the good guys in Hollywood so quit bad mouthing him.

Demetra Thigpen

schwarzenbruder

He is wearing a neck brace because that idiot pulled him out of the car probably causing collateral damage after the fact. was the car on fire?? no, you idiot every 6 year old knows you dont move a person who has a possible spinal injury. call 911, you are only a doctor ON TV!!1

Blaiz

Only is Malibu would there more attention on who helped the kid (a star), than why the heck would a 16 year old be given a Mustang as his first car? And, the fact that he can't handle such a powerful machine. Again, only in Malibu.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments