« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Seau Teammate Breaks Down

"I Missed Seeing Him

One Last Time"

5/2/2012 3:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

050212_max_sitll 0503_junior_seau_teammate_audio
Junior Seau
's former teammate broke down in tears, live on the radio, moments after hearing about his death -- and wished he could have done something to save his friend.

Marcellus Wiley played with Seau as a San Diego Charger in 2001 and 2002 -- and now co-hosts the Max and Marcellus show on 710 ESPN in LA.

Marcellus was on the air today when TMZ broke the news about Seau's death -- and immediately got emotional sharing memories of his teammate.

Take a listen, it's extremely poignant ... especially when Marcellus laments missing his last chance to hang out with Junior at a recent event.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

nof

Professional and collegiate athletes?

- need help making the transition back to Real World-ism.

I went through this - trust me - I know.

Junior tried to do it on his own - you can't.

-maybe this can be the beginning of educating future athletes.

"Returning" is like going from Brentwood to Guyana.

Not easy.

Angela Carson

Wow, so sad. RIP Junior. My prayers and condolences are with his family.

justagirl

Marcellus we LOVE YOU!!!!! Charger Family is HERE for YOU!!!

Kelly

Suicide - the last desperate act of cowards.

brad

This is really sad. Junior Seau had every reason to live a long, happy life after his NFL days. I've been a big fan of his. Junior was a TWELVE TIME PRO BOWLER. He's probably the most successful NFL player from Samoa EVER ... and there's been a lot of Samoans and Tongans in the NFL over the years. He was destined to be a Hall of Famer long before this incident. I hear that Junior was a big drinker. Maybe he'd been on a long drinking binge for a month because of his divorce and the booze and the hangovers were making him super depressed. It could have been depression caused by concussions too. I guess someone will have to look at his brain during the autopsy to find out if he had bad brain damage. After this Junior Seau suicide, I bet the NFL is going to make it MANDATORY for all players to have high tech helmets that are designed to minimize concussions. I just hope that 7 time Pro Bowl linebacker Zach Thomas doesn't have brain injury problems as he gets older. I was a big fan of him too. He had problems with concussions too.

amber

sad!

janet

who

HEIDI

Sad to hear that he felt like he had no way out.

birdman

tmz although your site is improving it still is pretty ****ty in comparison to espn.com comment system

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2